cancel
Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted

AS and IPv6

Hello,

we want to register AS and IPv4 PI subnet but there is only IPv6 subnet... Could you explain me is there any problems and difficulties in this method connection to Internet. Who/where will be translate IPv4 address to IPv6?

p.s. I have read some about NAT64 and now it seems to me that except IPv6 subnet also is needed a IPv4 (PA) subnet for performing translation between IPv4 an IPv6 for IPv4 only hosts... then what is the point in IPv6 PI subnet???

Thanks in advance

Everyone's tags (2)
1 REPLY 1

AS and IPv6

Anatoly,

You can request for AS but I am not sure if you will get IPv4 public space or not. Which location are you from? If Asia then you will need to contact APNIC and looks difficult to get IPv4 space since it is exausted. You will have to take IPv6 public space for the Internet connectivity. Time to upgrade your network to support IPv6 internet now. Also you will need to make sure that your hosts(PC) are capable of supporting IPv4 & IPv6 both stacks.

Also I assume that you want to do 6to4 NAT because NAT-PT has already been deprecated. NAT64 mechanism is generally used for the site-site communication or VPN traffic. I am not sure if you can use this for the Internet. Internet will have native IPv4 or IPv6 connectivity whether you perform private V4 to Internet V4 NAT or Site-local V6 to Internet V6 NAT.

I don't think you can do private V4 to public V6 NAT. Mean while you can have a small V4 subnet from your ISP and PAT all of your internal traffic to the Internet.

Regards,

Deepak Ambotkar

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards

This widget could not be displayed.