cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't assign IPv6 address on 3650

altyoung
Level 1
Level 1

On my 3650-48PS running on SW 3.03.05SE, I tried to assign an IPv6 address to interface Gi 1/0/1 , but only see these options: dhcp, flow, mld, nd, snooping, traffic-filter when I do IPv6  ? .   Can someone please let me know why I am not seeing IPv6 address options and how get I get it on the switch?   Thank you very much.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

By default the ports on 3650 will be Layer2. When the port is Layer2 you only will see dhcp, flow, mld, nd, snooping etc. 

Try changing the port to Layer 3 by configuring "no switchport". You should be able to configure the IPv6 address after changing it to L3.

HTH,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you enabled the appropriate SDM template?:

sdm prefer dual-ipv4-and-ipv6 default

I only see Advanced option when I do SDM Prefer?  I tried it before posting this message here.  Any other idea?     

First, try to enable IPv6 on the switch with the command "ipv6 unicast-routing" on global config mode. Then, go to the interface and try again.

If the IOS doesn't accepts the command, it might be due that the IOS is not IPv6-ready.

I did do "ipv6 unicast-routing", but "Ipv6 Address" was not available for the interface.  The switch does have some Ipv6 options like I  "IPv6 Global-Prefix" is available.   Does this mean it's IPv6 ready?   Thanks.  

don't forget to change the interface from L2 to L3 with the "no switchport" command as suggested previously.

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

By default the ports on 3650 will be Layer2. When the port is Layer2 you only will see dhcp, flow, mld, nd, snooping etc. 

Try changing the port to Layer 3 by configuring "no switchport". You should be able to configure the IPv6 address after changing it to L3.

HTH,

Nagendra

changing port to layer 3 worked.  Thank you all for your help.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: