cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I find out an IPV6 Adrress outside of my network?

bobbychoi021
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys! I just finished my exam not too long ago. We were told to use OSPF for IPV4 and allow a PC inside our network to be able to ping to a web server inside an Internet cluster that contains a ipv4 server and an ipv6 server. As for the ipv6 part, we were told to do a static routing instead.

I managed to get the ipv4 to work during exam, but i could not get the ipv6 static route to work. I saved a copy of the PKT and am trying to figure it out at home; theres one problem which is the IPV6 address was given in the paper. I have been trying to find out what is the ipv6 address of the question given. I've tried using simulation mode and creating a simple PDU but it doesnt support IPV6 packets.

I have got the route to work ( it successfully routed to the network of the internet cluster but i have been trying to figure out what is the address of the ipv6 server.) Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @bobbychoi021 ,

theres one problem which is the IPV6 address was given in the paper. I have been trying to find out what is the ipv6 address

> of the question given.

Could you please clarify your question. Was the IPv6 address given in the paper, or  not? What exactly are you looking for?

Regards, 

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Sorry for my english.. What i meant was, I currently do not have the IPV6 address that was on the paper as I had submitted it. I want to find out what was the given IPV6 address so that i can verify if i had got it working.

Hi @bobbychoi021 ,

I am not sure it is important what the exact address was in the paper. You could just assigned a random IPv6 address to the server in your test scenario and make sure you can reach that specific IPv6 address the internal network.

I normally use addresses from the documentation range (2001:db8::/32) for my lab.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi, thanks for the reply! The ipv6 address was pre configured for us already. We just had to set a static route that routes to that network in order to access the server's http index. They wrote out the pre configured ipv6 address for us, but i did not save a copy of it.

Hi @bobbychoi021 ,

If you are trying to recreate this in the context of Cisco Packet Tracer, you can setup a server with any IPv6 address and then configure IPv6 connectivity to this server. I doesn't really matter if the address matches the paper or not.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco