Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure IPv6 on RV340?

Lusiiky
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a RV340 router, and I can't get IPv6 to work properly.

If I connect directly to the router of my ISP (Orange), I get an IPv6 address and it writes to me that IPv6 works perfectly (for example on the site test-ipv6.com).

However, if I connect to my RV340 router, impossible! It simply writes me that "No IPv6 address detected" (see screenshot).

About the IPv6 of the RV340, it gets an address because at WAN level, I left the parameter in DHCP (see screenshot).

Did I miss something in the configuration, although it is the default configuration? (see screenshot)
Is it maybe possible to create a kind of IPv6 passthrough so that it remains the ISP router that supports IPv6?

Thanks to you!
Lusiiky

Lusiiky
8 Replies 8

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @Lusiiky ,

Why do you want to daisy chain the RV340 to the ISP router?

Since your ISP router handles the IPv6, you need to configure the RV340 in passthrough mode, but I am not sure the RV340 supports it.

The other option would be to replace the ISP router by the RV340.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

The problem is that the ISP only offers to enable or disable IPv6, so I'm afraid that if I disable it, it won't work even with the RV340.

And I don't think I can remove the router from the ISP to have only the RV340. Orange still needs their router to do the original verification.

Thanks to you,
Lusiiky

Lusiiky

Hi @Lusiiky ,

Thanks for the additional information. Any specific reason for wanting to use the RV340 behind the ISP router?

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello,

Because I have several servers and devices that I would like a more advanced configuration.

Unfortunately, my ISP's router is not complete enough, does not offer VLAN, etc.

I am therefore obliged to have an additional router.

Thank you,

Lusiiky

Lusiiky

Hi @Lusiiky ,

Unfortunately, the RV340 can't be used in passthrough mode for IPv6. A switch would be a better fit.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello, thank you for your answer!

A potential alternative solution?
Maybe solutions like 6to4 or similar?

Thank you.

Lusiiky

Hi @Lusiiky ,

Unfortunately, I only see two alternatives (NAT66 or passthrough) and neither is supported on the RV340 that I know of. I am not sure how 6to4 can help you here. 6to4 could possibly be done, but from experience, it doesn't work too well.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello!

And... if I disable IPv6 support by my ISP... is my RV340 configuration correct for it to work on the Internet, or not?

Thank you.

Lusiiky
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: