cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 ACLS for LAN traffic

JESSICA Walsh
Level 1
Level 1

I'm making outbound Ipv6 ACLs for LAN traffic on L3 SVIs and am trying to determined what is actually needed. I have several source/destination combos that I am not sure if i need to permit.

• seeing drops on outbound V6 ACL with source and destination IP in same subnet. Any ideas why this might be happening?
  • FE80::/10 for link local-does this source need to be allow to my destination LAN subnet?
  • FF00::/8 blockmulticast-does this need to be allowed as both a source and destination network on a given interface? I'm getting a ton of matches on it as a destination with source any.
4 Replies 4

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jessica,

You shouldn't need to have and ACL for any FE80::/10 traffic, as it has a TTL of 1 and cannot be forwarded beyond the local segment.

Regarding your other questions, it may be easier if you shared the ACL.

cheers,

Seb.

Right, but this FE80 traffic is TO the local segment. That's what I find perplexing. You are saying it shouldn't be talking to my local segment at all?

Traffic from the router to an FE80 address would be expected. Due to the TTL of 1 traffic can never be routed beyond the local segment, therefore there is no need for an ACL to police FE80 traffic.

I need the access-list list to police other traffic. I understand what you're saying, but traffic sourced FE80://10 is coming out this network anyway. It is probably sourced from the local subnet. I am also seeing traffic hit this ACL with the source of the local subnet and the destination of the local subnet; this also doesn't make sense to me. With v4, it wasn't necessary to permit the subnet to talk to itself.

Sorry, I can't share the ACL as it has my IP's in it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: