Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 issue on WLAN with WLC2504

jilse-iph
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have an issue with IPv6 on WLC2504 wlan controller. IPv6 is enabled globally, 1 WLAN which i want to run with IPv6 is connected to a Switch via VLAN666, and a router (C1841) with IPv6 enabled is also connected to VLAN666. When i connect a netbook via cable to an access-port in VLAN666 of that switch, i get an IPv6 prefix and a default gateway assigned via RA, but if i connect the same netbook via WLAN, i get no IPv6 prefix assigned and no IPv6 default-gateway. Seems, that RA packets do not reach my WLAN clients ... But if i connect the netbook via WLAN, i can ping the link local address from the C1841 router, and if i assign a global unique IPv6 address within the same prefix configured on the router, i can access also the IPv6 internet via that connection. The only thing missing is the router-advertisement, which gets lost between the switch and the WLAN-AP ...

The WLC2504 runs (unfortunately) with firmware 7.6 (which is not supported anymore) and the APs are connected via Flexconnect. All APs are local to this site, so there is no really need for Flexconnect / REAP / HREAP. Is Flexconnect the reason for this issue? If fFlexconnect is the reason for the issue, how can i change the connection to something else, that is supported in combination with IPv6? The "ipv6 ra-guard" is enabled for "wlc" and i can't disable that setting. I think, that is the problem with the router-advertisement, but how is it possible to change that setting? It seems not to be supported to disable this setting, i can only disable ra-gurad for APs:

(Cisco Controller) >config ipv6 ra-guard ?

ap             Configures filter for Router Advertisement packets originating from client on AP.

If i try to disable ra-guard for the wlc, i get an error message:

(Cisco Controller) >config ipv6 ra-guard wlc

Incorrect usage.  Use the '?' or <TAB> key to list commands.

The APs are Cisco AIR-CAP2600I-E-K9 APs.

Any suggestions how to solve that issue?

Thanks in advance.

21 Replies 21

Thanks. Can anyone confirm that the issue is indeed fixed? The release notes don't seem to state anything regarding solved issues with IPv6 router advertisements or IPv6 in general.

Thanks,
Michael

We're running it instead of the interim release we had and ipv6 issues resolved.

We have upgraded to 8.3.143.0 and it seems the issue is fixes as well. At least I haven't seen any IPv6 RA information losses since the upgrade last Friday. I will keep an eye on this.

Still strange that the release notes doesn't mention this. Really strange!

Unfortunately the issue is not resolved for us in 8.3.143.0. Just has a case where on client lost its IPv6 RA information. Disconnecting the client at the client did not help - even after reconnecting, no IPv6 RA was received. The only thing that helped was to remove the Wireless client from the WLC. After that, the client received IPv6 RA again.

I will raise a case with TAC.

No issues on AIR-CT5520-K9-8-5-131-0.aes

At least 8.3.143.0 seems to be working much more stable in this regard as I had the issue with not receiving RAs only once and that was after the client was connected for two days for testing.

Since we don't know the cause it might be possible that the issue is fixed for most situations but may still occur in rare situations.

I have raised a case as our issue is still not fixed. The issue is already known as bug:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvi38539/?rfs=iqvred

Will keep you updated as soon as I have more information. There is also another bug related to IPv6 RA that is caused by heaviy multicast traffic:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvh53814/?rfs=iqvred