cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 static routing

eduarddav
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, the question is: Can i use static routes that target ipv6 traffic with ipv4 targets?

What i mean is:

let's say i have an ipv6 client, and my cisco is his ipv6 default gateway.

Can i set a route in the Cisco that looks something like this:

ip route 2001:10:10::0/64 via 20.0.0.1

Basically - can i route ipv6 traffic to an ipv4 destination?

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Edi,

The short answer is no. Could you please explain why you would need to do this?

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I want to do this since we are testing ipv6 clients with ipv6 default gateway but not all other elements in the network have ipv6 addresses so i wanted to know if i can route this traffic to them even though they don't have an ipv6 address.

Basically we have a man in the middle server that inspects the traffic that we want to route the traffic to before forwarding it to its original destinations and I would like to know if we can still use it without assigning it an ipv6 address and routes.

Thanks

If you need to transport native IPv6 packets across an IPv4 moat, you will need some kind of tunnel to encapsulate the traffic.  Many kinds of tunnels are possible (6RD, 6PE, 6in4, ...) depending on the details of the environment.  Typical encapsulations for LAN traffic would be either GRE (Protocol 47) or IPv6-in-IPv4 (protocol 41).   Your man-in-the-middle IPS gizmo would have to be willing to forward your chosen encapsulation, and you'd need a remote gateway with native v6 connectivity.

-- Jim Leinweber, WI State Lab of Hygiene

Hi Edi,

If the rest of the network does not run IPv6 and you want to commiunicate with it, you might need to use a NAT64 device. This device would connect to both the IPv6 and the IPv4 network and would translate between the two.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: