cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there any place to practice IPv4 to IPv6 conversion, as well as IPv6 subnetting?

MikeAW2010
Level 1
Level 1

For example, IPv4 has subnetting.org but I couldn't find anything for IPv6. I am studying CCNP and it looks like I will need to know how to subnet and convert IPv6 addresses. What is a good way to practice this?

4 Replies 4

Hello,

not really sure what you are looking for, but the link below is one of the numerous IPv6 subnet calculators you can find on the net:

http://www.gestioip.net/cgi-bin/subnet_calculator.cgi

scdugan
Level 1
Level 1

IPv6 subnetting is as easy as just counting the subnets.  Its all based on how the address breaksdown. 

If you take an IPv6 address with:

XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:YYYY:ZZZZ:ZZZZ:ZZZZ:ZZZZ/64

Where X is the address space assigned by your ISP and will be the same on every device on the network.

Where Y is where you subnet.  Just increment this number by 1 everytime you need a new subnet.  If you don't need more than 10,000 subnet you don't even have to use hex letters A-F.  Just go from 0009 to 0010.  Technically the number is still hexadecimal and represents 16... by my eye see the number 10 and I'm ok with using that as my 10th subnet.  In a large enterprise where you need to allocate addresses in a way you can summarize use 10.B.V.0/24 for IPv4 where B is the building number and V is the VLAN number.  In IPv6 just conver the Building and VLAN values to hexadecimal.  Giving you a logical /56 summarized route for a building.

Z is the host portion of the address.  Use a random number, changing every 8 hours for any client on the network.  Use 0000:0000:0001 for the servers, printers and infrastructure devices on each subnet.  Reduced down to ::1 for the first static device, the ::2 for the second etc.

Great answer.

pmckenzie
Level 3
Level 3

@MikeAW2010 wrote:

For example, IPv4 has subnetting.org but I couldn't find anything for IPv6. I am studying CCNP and it looks like I will need to know how to subnet and convert IPv6 addresses. What is a good way to practice this?

here is a workbook I used

can print it out and do the exercises

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=Y3RlLmVkdS5zYXxjdGUtY29tcC1jbHVifGd4OjZjMTM1ZTkwOGRiNjZhOQ

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold" Dr Who
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco