cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Networking with 2 VLANs and Router

dadamsjrsnoopy
Level 1
Level 1

I am on page 198 of the Official Cisco Certification Guide for CCNA Routing and Switching ICND2 200-105.

I am using actual hardware and my attachment shows how I am going to set up my hardware.

My question is SW1, 3 and 4 each have two VLAN's each.  Wouldn't this require TWO network connections between the router and the switch since the VLANs are on separate networks.

Example specific: if SW1 has VLAN 11 with IP range 10.1.1.1-126/25 and VLAN 12 with IP range 10.1.1.129-254, I can't think of any way a single connection between the switch and the router could connect to both VLANs (unless I back up and do a Router-on-a-Stick?)  I think Router-on-a-Stick is covered later . . . .

David Adams

Mobile, AL

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on requirement and device, it can also be trunk between Switche and router using single link allow 2 VLANs, you can also have 2 Seperate links as Point to Point links.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Usually Router-on-a-Stick is preferred as routers have fewer ports. my 2800 ISR router has only 2 FastEthernet ports. ROAS interface must be 100 Mbps or faster and do trunking.
Router-on-a-Stick interface can handle multiple different vlans.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: