cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPFv3

Code_Red
Level 1
Level 1

While using Packettracer 7.3 version. I was not able to configure ospfv3 into any of the given router. 

R1(config)#router ospfv3

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

i get this message in every router. I try to search and try it in every router that Packettracer provide us but none of it was identifying ospv3 command.

I'm attaching screenshot too, kindly look over and guide me.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Cisco IOS routers offer two OSPF configuration methods for IPv6:

• Using the traditional ipv6 router ospf global configuration command
  • Using the new-style router ospfv3 global configuration command. This method is intro in new versions so It is accepted that PT will not accept this.

Both are the same.

https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2294214&seqNum=4#:~:text=OSPFv3%20is%20the%20IPv6%2Dcapable,as%20in%20IPv4%20and%20OSPFv2.&text=Cisco%20IOS%20routers%20offer%20two,router%20ospf%20global%20configuration%20command

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Do ipv6 configuration options under global config mode ipv6 router ospf 1 

I think it is already there I see it is already there; this is proper command for ospf ipv6 only.  PT does not support all commands and options/features; they have OSPFv2 for IPv4 configs but they dont' support address family for ospf which is router ospfv3 - address family for both ipv4 and ipv6.  

see OSPF Doc for all options 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

The Docs you have forwarded have the configuration and i have read it too. But whenever i put the "router ospfv3 {process id}" it says the same error. you can see attachment also. I did the OSPFv2 configuration and also for ipv6 used OSPF but what i not found is OSPFv3.

Thanks for Reply. I really Appreciate

Hi, Packet Tracer is fairly limited in many ways. It emulates IOS, but it is not IOS. OSPFv3 was created to add support for IPv6. Assuming Packet Tracer supports IPv6, and you have enabled ¨ipv6 unicast routing¨  you could try to enable OSPFv3 with something like:

ipv6 router ospf 1

Don’t forget this: OSPFv3 process 1 could not pick a router-id, you have to configure manually.

I hope I've helped.

Regards!

CISCO NETWORK ENGINEER

I have no doubts on Packet tracer providing us emulation of Cisco IOS not totally IOS. That's why i thought it worth to ask about it. I'm only having issue with not finding command OSPFv3, whether the other configuration going easy like butter.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Cisco IOS routers offer two OSPF configuration methods for IPv6:

• Using the traditional ipv6 router ospf global configuration command
  • Using the new-style router ospfv3 global configuration command. This method is intro in new versions so It is accepted that PT will not accept this.

Both are the same.

https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2294214&seqNum=4#:~:text=OSPFv3%20is%20the%20IPv6%2Dcapable,as%20in%20IPv4%20and%20OSPFv2.&text=Cisco%20IOS%20routers%20offer%20two,router%20ospf%20global%20configuration%20command

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Thanks for clearing it Deepak.

I hope cisco PT will soon make this feature available for us.

Try using GNS3 with Virl Image or normal IOS images It should work as expected. 

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: