Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

slaac implememntation

we are implementing ipv6 through slaac,and eui-64, but systems are not generating IPV6 address with MAC.

any other configuration required.

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

if your devices are configuring there IPv6 interfaces with the correct network prefix and it is just the host portion (last 64 bits) of the address which doesn't correlate to its MAC address that is because the device will be using privacy extensions.

this is an OS setting which cannot be overridden via network equipment. Take a look at the RFC:

cheers,

Seb.

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You say that you do not see an IPv6 address incorporating the MAC address, but do you see any IPv6 address (other than the link local address) on the host? If not, it might be that the router does not sending any router advertisement or sends incorrect router advertisement. You could do a "deb ipv6 icmp" on the router to verify that.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Host generating ipv6 addresses but not with MAC of that system.it must be
formed with MAC in EUI-64.

If the host receives the router advertisement and assigns itself an IPv6 address then all is normal. As Seb mentioned, some hosts do not use the EUI64 algorithm to do so, but rather generates the interface identifier (last 64 bits of the IPv6 address) using some other algorithm. MacOS for example does not use the EUI64 and I am sure that many other OSes don't either.

RFC3041 documents some alternative for of assigning the interface identifier in the context of SLAAC.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3041

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thank you for your support at last I have solved my problem by giving some netsh commands in system cmd prompt to disable the privacy options of ipv6.