cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to establish OSPFv3 neighbors through transparent ASA

bdubrow
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 devices running IPv6 with an ASA ver 8.4(2) in transparent mode with multiple contexts in between them.  I can ipv6 ping the devices through the ASA but can not get the 2 devices to establish OSPFv3 adjacency.  They are able to establish adjacency with ipv4 OSPF.  When running debug ipv6 ospf hello I see each of the devices sending hellos but not receiving them from the device on the other side of the ASA. I notice that the hellos are coming from the link local addresses and not the unique global addresses that I applied to the interfaces. If I connect a device directly to one of the devices I can establish OSPFv3 adjacency without a problem.

Any thoughts?

Bob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ouch. This looks like a bug we found internally - CSCtr39183 (not visible outside)

What I would do is open a TAC case, reference this bug and ask them to publish you 8.4.2.10 image.

Alternatively and I advise against it - downgrade to 8.4.1 where the problem should not be present.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bob,

It is expected that OSPF/EIGRP etc use link local rather than unique global ;-)

Regarding the problem.

- please enable

logging buffered info

logging buffer-size 1000000

- and ASP drop capure.

cap ASP type asp all 

Try establishing the adjacency and check

show logg

sh cap ASP

I would also try establishing the adjacency without multicast (point-to-multipoint network should allow this).

Marcin

Ouch. This looks like a bug we found internally - CSCtr39183 (not visible outside)

What I would do is open a TAC case, reference this bug and ask them to publish you 8.4.2.10 image.

Alternatively and I advise against it - downgrade to 8.4.1 where the problem should not be present.

Marcin,

Thanks for your help on this, I have been fighting with it for a few days.  The setup is in a lab so going between multiple versions on the ASA is not a problem.  I will do as you suggest and open a TAC case.

Received 8.4.2.15 from TAC, that fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Bob