I recently set up SIP and H.323 DNS SRV records for my domain pointing to my VCS and have been testing using my Free Jabber.com account. It seems that the free jabber.com account gets "hung" in certain situations. This morning my initial test call connects fine from Free Jabber to my Polycom codec, and I end the call. I wait for a few seconds and make another call from Free Jabber to the same codec. Again, that one connects fine. My THIRD call to the codec doesn't even reach my VCS. I have no logs of the call making it to my VCS. Also, I also am not able to reach any other connections in my domain from Free Jabber, and have no logs of the attemps even reaching my VCS.
The only three things I can conclude are:
1) A DNS round-robin where one or more of the DNS servers can't resolve my target DNS domain for SIP/H.323. (unlikely)
2) Somehow and for some reason I've exhaused all of the possible outbound connections for my Free Jabber account. This could perhaps be a bug in that the tear-down of sessions with the Polycom codec, and it doesn't happen correctly, leading to resource exhaustion of my client??
3) I've exceeded some connection rate threshold for my outbound Free Jabber account, and I've been put in "time out" temporarily.
I've logged out of free Jabber and will re-try the scenario at the office and post results.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Is there any way to troubleshoot this further? I'm really trying to "sell" the idea of Jabber to my management team, but until it works reliably, it's a no-go.
So I just spent the better part of an hour (off and on) connecting from Free Jabber to the same resource on my campus.
Out of 25 attempts, on 13 were successful. 52% success rate, 48% failure rate. The failed attempts aren't even making it to my VCS.
Is this simply a resource problem on the Free Jabber implementation? I realize it's a beta program. Is everyone having similar success/failure rates, or am I the lucky one?
Yes, this is a comon issue with the CiscoJabberVideo.com solution. My best guess would be what you have mentioned, either a DNS issue or outbound connection issue within the Jabber Video cloud itself as my customers are also not receiving traffic on their VCS-Es as you have described.
There is much talk of this at the moment and the best I can answer everyone is to hold tight until a resolution
There are even two Cisco employees discussing the issue
I am sure that Cisco internally (or the old Tandberg guys) must know about the issue by now...
I should start a new thread, but if anyone can answer what SRV records the CiscoJabberVideo.com solution queries, that would be much appreciated
"what SRV records the CiscoJabberVideo.com solution queries"
It first looks for SIP SRV records, not sure if it looks for both tcp and sips or just sips, but having both in place doesn't hurt.
If it can't find SIP SRV records, then it looks for H.323 SRV records, mind you, my experience has been that SIP needs to be enabled on the end-point it tries to connect to even if this endpoint only has an H.323 address and is not registered to a SIP registrar.
A DNS lookup of jabber.com came up with the following records:
|SRV||_h323cs._tcp.jabber.com.||3600||IN||SRV||0 0 1720 cjv-vcs.global.jabber.com.|
|SRV||_sips._tcp.jabber.com.||238||IN||SRV||10 0 5061 cjv-sbc-trunk-2.global.jabber.com.|
|SRV||_sips._tcp.jabber.com.||238||IN||SRV||10 0 5061 cjv-sbc-trunk-1.global.jabber.com.|
|SRV||_sip._tcp.jabber.com.||238||IN||SRV||10 0 5060 cjv-sbc-trunk-2.global.jabber.com.|
|SRV||_sip._tcp.jabber.com.||238||IN||SRV||10 0 5060 cjv-sbc-trunk-1.global.jabber.com.|
Sorry guys, I should have said out-bound from CiscoJabberVideo.com -> Customer Equipment. Is it different from the typical Movi / JabberVideo 4 TP + VCS-E call out. The only reason I'm thinking this is becaues I wouldn't believe that the CiscoJabberVideo.com runs on beefed up VCS-Es nor running the normal VCS code; I wonder how differently this behaves and does it produce different responses / queries to what VCS-Es perform for traversal zones?
It's probably a stupid question and just uses the A record for the domain that you are dialling.
On the OPs post, CiscoJabberVideo.com is 'hit and miss' when I test. 50% of the time it hits my VCS-Es and only after a very long pause (5 - 10 seconds in some cases). I wonder if the TAC knows anything about CiscoJabberVideo.com
Outbound from Cisco it will first look for SIP SRV records, then, if not found, H.323 SRV records.
"Free" JV did not support A-record look-up when it was first launched, whether or not this has changed I do not know, but I doubt it.
Thanks, that's interesting to know.
I'm sure that there are a bunch of lazy customers out there that don't use SRV records for their equipment.