cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Integrating enterprise search engine with Show & Share?

Views
Helpful
Comments
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Leon Bryant on 27-05-2010 06:50:38 PM
Has anyone been successful at connecting the Show & Share database with an enterprise search application. We would really like to crawl S&S as part of our integrated enterprise search interface. We're currently using a FAST-based search application.

I'm a developer, not an engineer, but I know this is where I can find answers to questions like these. If the topic or approach is out of line, please let me know.

Leon

Subject: RE: Integrating enterprise search engine with Show & Share?
Replied by: Hashir Baqai on 28-05-2010 06:34:11 PM
Leon,

Show and Share does provide API calls that return search results which can be integrated into the user interface of your enterprise search. However, there is currently no standard way in Show and Share to rank the restults against another tool's search results (in this case, the results currently returned by your enterprise search engine).

The challenge that you would be facing would be in designing an algorithm that would decide whether a particular video retuned by Show and Share search ranks higher than another link returned by your enterprise search tool. If you wanted to keep things simple, you could simply have a side bar with Show and Share results seperately displayed. On the other hand, how to return search results can also be so complex that some corporations specialize in just that task alone.

Let me know if that answers your question.

-Hashir

Subject: RE: Integrating enterprise search engine with Show & Share?
Replied by: Cole Shiflett on 24-08-2012 12:57:29 PM
Has anyone been successful at connecting the Show & Share database with an enterprise search application. We would really like to crawl S&S as part of our integrated enterprise search interface. We're currently using a FAST-based search application.

I'm a developer, not an engineer, but I know this is where I can find answers to questions like these. If the topic or approach is out of line, please let me know.

Leon

I have created a solution that allows you to integrate the content of SnS with SharePoint.  I created a timer job in SP that consumes the SnS API and executes a query using my desired criteria.  The XML response that is returned is then parsed and the links are posted to a SharePoint list.  I then create a custom search scope pointing to that list and execute a full crawl. 

To make it even more tight, I also adjusted the DispForm.aspx on the SharePoint list so that it has the video embedded in the page using the JavaScript function that is in the SnS product documentation.  Just capture the CCSID value when consuming the SnS API and write it to a separate SharePoint list column....then you can plug it into the JavaScript function on the page.

I have not tried to crawl the actual SnS database, I would much rather just use the vendor provided APIs then try to hack something on the backend.

I may blog about my solution and provide the source code if I have time.  If I do, I'll update this post to include the URL.
This widget could not be displayed.