cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

ASR9K or Nexus netconf yang ned

Hi,

Need to demonstrate to a customer a netconf/yang  to a “legacy physical device”.  We have ASR9K and Nexus switches in the lab.

Is this feasible today with these cisco products?  If so where can I find the YANG models  so that we can conver our current  CLI NED based XML template in our services.

Thanks, JA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: ASR9K or Nexus netconf yang ned

I agree Jan, we should aggressively encourage device programmability (via NETCONF J).

My point was specific to  “legacy network infrastructure”. It might not always be possible to put a NETCONF agent on the device/platform/vendor. Any viable orchestrator (like NSO) needs to work with that reality. So for a requirement:

1. Does the orchestrator support NetConf/YANG as the means of communicating with legacy network infrastructure components? (y/n)

I’d say yes, NSO orchestrator supports that, even when the legacy network infrastructure doesn’t have a NETCONF agent. That is a key differentiator for NSO. It is important to explain to the customer how NSO achieves this.

Thanks,

Bilal.

17 REPLIES 17
Cisco Employee

Hi Julie,

Not sure if I understand the question correctly.

Do we want to demonstrate the programming of a legacy device using NETCONF/YANG? No problem, NSO auto-generates APIs for all models (service-models or device-models, they are just models at the end of the day). So you can program them up by calling the auto-generated APIs from the North.

We have a customer in Japan doing exactly just that. Programming up their legacy devices via the APIs generated from their respective device-models. We do want to move them to a service centric view though to get the full benefits of NSO. So for them NSO is like a programmable, multi-vendor EMS.

Every NED comes with the device’s YANG model. That is the model that you do your CRUD operations to.

Thanks,

1. Bilal.

Cisco Employee

Or are you wanting to use native NETCONF/YANG towards the device? I can connect you with the programmability team.

Cheers, 

KJ.

Cisco Employee

JA,

Need to demonstrate to a customer a netconf/yang  to a “legacy physical device”.  We have ASR9K and Nexus switches in the lab.

Is this feasible today with these cisco products?  If so where can I find the YANG models  so that we can conver our current  CLI NED based XML template in our services.

NX does not have this today, but work is ongoing.

XR 6.0.0+ has a NETCONF/YANG interface, but there are still many issues we're working on ironing out.

As noted by other commenters, NSO publishes a NETCONF/YANG interface on behalf of the devices regardless of how NSO communicates with the device. But I guess that's not what you're asking for here.

Best Regards,

/jan

Cisco Employee

Correct – Need netconf/yang to the device – we have already demonstrated NED/CLI based to legacy devices – but customer is specifically asking us to show the following in POC:

1. Does the orchestrator support NetConf/YANG as the means of communicating with legacy network infrastructure components? (y/n)

Can you point me to how to get started with the XR Netconf/Yang – is there a jive page or blog where I can follow along?

Thanks, JA

Cisco Employee

JA,

Correct – Need netconf/yang to the device – we have already demonstrated NED/CLI based to legacy devices – but customer is specifically asking us to show the following in POC:

a)     Does the orchestrator support NetConf/YANG as the means of communicating with legacy network infrastructure components? (y/n)

Can you point me to how to get started with the XR Netconf/Yang – is there a jive page or blog where I can follow along?

This is still bleeding edge. Unicast me, and I'll give you the details of how to work with this.

Best Regards,

/jan

Cisco Employee

It may NOT always be possible to put NETCONF agent on a legacy network infrastructure. For example Cat6k may be around for another 30 years and we will continue to run classic IOS, not sure if there are plans to NETCONFying it.

Cisco is going and adding NETCONF to some of our Operating Systems. Sometimes we just run CONFd in a container for the platforms that has the resources to do so and then CONFd basically talks CLI with the OS. Even when we do that, it will take some time before which the NETCONF NED will be “at parity” with the CLI based NED that we already have. Also, the speed at which we can model an existing CLI in a CLI based NED is a lot faster than adding NETCONF capability to the agent on the respective OS.

In short, my reading of the above requirement is that it can be satisfied by putting the NSO platform layer on top of the legacy network infrastructure without requiring any changes to the current install base. That will allow us to communicate to it (via an indirection) in whatever API interface we want (NETCONF, REST, JSON-RPC etc).

Thanks,

1. Bilal.

Cisco Employee

Bilal,

I have a question to one of your remarks below:

Please see inline...

Thanks,

Nabil

On Mar 16, 2016, at 1:09 PM, Bilal Alam (balam) <balam@cisco.com> wrote:

It may NOT always be possible to put NETCONF agent on a legacy network infrastructure. For example Cat6k may be around for another 30 years and we will continue to run classic IOS, not sure if there are plans to NETCONFying it.

Cisco is going and adding NETCONF to some of our Operating Systems. Sometimes we just run CONFd in a container for the platforms that has the resources to do so and then CONFd basically talks CLI with the OS. Even when we do that, it will take some time before which the NETCONF NED will be “at parity” with the CLI based NED that we already have.

If the YANG models developed for the CLI Ned are already supported by the NETCONF agent, what is the effort needed to replace a CLI NED with a NETCONF NED?

My understanding is that integration with NETCONF devices only needs the YANG models. No extra code is needed at the NSO device NED layer.

Were you referring to something else? Like the mapping logic?

Also, the speed at which we can model an existing CLI in a CLI based NED is a lot faster than adding NETCONF capability to the agent on the respective OS.

In short, my reading of the above requirement is that it can be satisfied by putting the NSO platform layer on top of the legacy network infrastructure without requiring any changes to the current install base. That will allow us to communicate to it (via an indirection) in whatever API interface we want (NETCONF, REST, JSON-RPC etc).

Thanks,

1. Bilal.

Cisco Employee

Hi Nabil,

That specific reference was to the IOS-XR case. What I meant to say was:

Cisco is going and adding NETCONF to some of our Operating Systems. Even when we do that, it will take some time before which the NETCONF NED will be “at parity” with the CLI based NED that we already have.

Thanks,

Bilal.

Cisco Employee

Hi Nabil,

That specific reference was to the IOS-XR case. What I meant to say was:

Cisco is going and adding NETCONF to some of our Operating Systems. Even when we do that, it will take some time before which the NETCONF NED will be “at parity” with the CLI based NED that we already have.

Thanks,

Bilal.

Cisco Employee

Hi Bilal,

I would add that we should always expect that different NEDs will have different device models. So, if you are moving from a XR CLI NED to the XR NETCONF NED, you should expect a change in the templates and any code that manipulates device information.

Regards,

Roque

Cisco Employee

Hi Bilal,

You mean the time it takes for legacy systems to support NETCONF is the time you refer to below, right?

I am just trying to confirm that a device supporting NETCONF in the future will be CLI NED free with minimal effort (keeping the YANG data model the same).

Thanks,

Nabil

Cisco Employee

Hi Nabil,

Yes that’s correct.

I guess the message I want to get across to the customer is that “legacy network infrastructure” is not going to start talking NETCONF/YANG auto-magically. Sometimes we just need to educate the customer a little.

NSO considers that “reality on the ground”. So for legacy stuff we build CLI-NEDs and for upcoming devices that have in-built programmability (NETCONF) we consume that. If they are sitting North of NSO, they don’t need to worry either way J

Thanks,

1. Bilal.

Cisco Employee

Bilal,

Cisco Employee

I agree Jan, we should aggressively encourage device programmability (via NETCONF J).

My point was specific to  “legacy network infrastructure”. It might not always be possible to put a NETCONF agent on the device/platform/vendor. Any viable orchestrator (like NSO) needs to work with that reality. So for a requirement:

I’d say yes, NSO orchestrator supports that, even when the legacy network infrastructure doesn’t have a NETCONF agent. That is a key differentiator for NSO. It is important to explain to the customer how NSO achieves this.

Thanks,

Bilal.

Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards