Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
khgrant
Cisco Employee

Control the order of devices to send commands

Hi,

Does NSO implement a particular logic to choose the order  of devices to send command to, if a service model contains more than one device?

Consider an example where the service yang model defines two leafs referring to devices in CDB and the XML translates that to commands in a particular order, let’s say device 1 and device2. Will NSO preserve that order when sending device configuration commands? I.e., first send commands to device1 and then to device2?

If not, is there a way to control this ordering mechanism?

I am asking that because I am evaluating a scenario where there is a device that is only reachable to be configured by NSO after some other devices are properly configured.

Thanks, Gustavo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
khgrant
Cisco Employee

Hi Andre,

For the one commit, there is no ordering. We have a bunch of threads programming up South-Bound devices in parallel.

Looks like you need to leverage the Reactive-FastMap pattern here.

Service pushes the configuration to device1, when that is done service gets redeployed (somehow) and second time around configuration gets pushed to device2.

Thanks,

1. Bilal.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
khgrant
Cisco Employee

Hi Andre,

For the one commit, there is no ordering. We have a bunch of threads programming up South-Bound devices in parallel.

Looks like you need to leverage the Reactive-FastMap pattern here.

Service pushes the configuration to device1, when that is done service gets redeployed (somehow) and second time around configuration gets pushed to device2.

Thanks,

1. Bilal.

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Hi Bilal, thank you for the feedback.

It can certainly can be done with reactive fastmap, and this was I was trying to avoid. I wish we had a simpler way of doing this.

Thanks

/Gustavo

khgrant
Cisco Employee

>>>I wish we had a simpler way of doing this.

Could you elaborate? Please check that if the second device is not available, you need to onboard it, do a sync-from, etc… NSO is a great tool but cannot break the law of causality.

Roque

Create
Recognize Your Peers
Content for Community-Ad