cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Development on Windows

Hi,

On the "Compatibility Matrix" page, I see that the workstation should be linux. Can't we develop on Windows OS (java API)? In the end, it is only a set of API's.

In addition, I started using the all-in-one VM, but it is very heavy (slow), although I tested it on some good machines ( I am assigning 3.5 GB of RAM with 2 cores of CPU). I don't see myself comfortable in developing under a VM. So, what is the best procedure to follow for creating my real development workstation?

Regards,

Mohamad

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Beginner

There’s no reason you can’t develop in Java under Windows, it’s just that it isn’t directly supported by Cisco at this time.  You’re on your own if you run into problems. 

As for setting up outside the all in one, you should just download and install the Java sdk.  But one of the best aspects of the AIO is the preconfigured set of IOS virtual routers that come with it for testing. If you have bare metal devices to test against then fine, but you will probably have to use a VM anyway to run IOSv. Or check out:  http://www.gns3.net/dynamips

Regards,

Dave  

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for your replies

Actually, I have a bare metal router to test with (887). Then, I want to develop in java under Windows. Will all of this be sufficient? Do I have to host the app on Linux?

Highlighted

It may be that the best thing to use is a Linux VM on top of Windows

Highlighted

You'll need IOS 15.4.2 or later on that 887.  I'm not absolutely certain it's supported since that model has gone EOL, replaced by the 887VA.  Then you'll need Java 1.6 or greater.  There's a install.sh shell script inside the sdk package that you might want to look at, but it doesn't do much more than untar the included sdk tar file.

It should run in native windows, but again, it's not officially supported by Cisco.

Highlighted

Actually, I have the 887VA, and the latest IOS is on it.

I could have till now the vIOS running on Windows in GNS3, and the onePK SDK configured in my favorite IDE under Windows as well. I am checking now OpenSSL and the authentication requirements of both the app and the router. I hope there will be no obstacles in this domain.

Highlighted

Some of us don't get a choice about the O/S we develop on...

Highlighted
Beginner

I could successfully build my own environment on Windows OS without the need for the all-in-one:

• On machine1: vIOS running on GNS3, configured with self signed certificate
  • On machine2: My favorite IDE configured with the latest onePK java SDK

I can connect to the network element and run my app.

Thanks for your support.

Content for Community-Ad
Cisco Community October 2020 Spotlight Award Winners
This widget could not be displayed.