cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

How to understand "transactional guarantees" and "Reactive FastMap"

Hi Experts,

I read a slide from NSO PE Stefan Vallin presented in Cisco Live!, which makes me confused about "Transactional Guarantee”.

It says that NSO is able to “automated handling of exceptions”, and “keep accurate copy of the network configuration state in NCS at all times”.

Regarding the “automated handling of exceptions”, according to my experience, NCS can only respond the exceptions generated from the device when there’s some config cannot be deployed. So how to understand the AUTOMATED handling of exceptions? Does it mean we need additional development works to make it automatically handle the exceptions?

And regarding the “keep accurate copy of the network configuration state in NCS at all times”, does it mean NCS can sync the configuration from the devices automatically? I only know that we need to execute sync-from operation manually to do that. So how to understand “at all times”?

https://communities.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-185010-87943/Pic1.PNG

https://communities.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-185010-87943/Pic1.PNG

Another questions is about “Reactive FastMap” algorithm. According to the slide, the Reactive FastMap needs device notifies NCS that the network state changed at first. But how does a device notify NCS?

I know for Netconf device, it can use Netconf Notification to do that. But how about CLI device?

https://communities.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-185010-87953/Pic2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: How to understand "transactional guarantees" and "Reactive FastMap"

Another questions is about “Reactive FastMap” algorithm. According to the slide, the Reactive FastMap needs device notifies NCS that the network state changed at first. But how does a device notify NCS?

I know for Netconf device, it can use Netconf Notification to do that. But how about CLI device?
You will have to write some integration part. For example, when talking to a VIM/VNF-M to
start a virtual device, the service needs to be re-deployed when the VM is actually up. Depending
on the VIM/VNF-M this can be done in different ways. The ESC sends NETCONF notifications
that a CDB subscriber can react on and trigger a service re-deploy (ie a reactive FASTMAP
event, if you like). Another VIM/VNF-M may need to be polled, or it may generate events
in some other way. I would recommend writing some custom java code to capture
these events. If your service needs to trigger on some event generated by a CLI based device
you may have to poll the device for the state change. If the device can be
configured to send SNMP traps, then that might be the way to go.

3 REPLIES 3
Cisco Employee

You will have to write some integration part. For example, when talking to a VIM/VNF-M to
start a virtual device, the service needs to be re-deployed when the VM is actually up. Depending
on the VIM/VNF-M this can be done in different ways. The ESC sends NETCONF notifications
that a CDB subscriber can react on and trigger a service re-deploy (ie a reactive FASTMAP
event, if you like). Another VIM/VNF-M may need to be polled, or it may generate events
in some other way. I would recommend writing some custom java code to capture
these events. If your service needs to trigger on some event generated by a CLI based device
you may have to poll the device for the state change. If the device can be
configured to send SNMP traps, then that might be the way to go.

Cisco Employee

So the FastMap is more like a design pattern and a way of using FastMap, but not another algorithm.

Cisco Employee

Correct. I just wrote some more documentation in the NCS/NSO-4.0 manual for Reactive FASTMAP and it is called exactly that, a design pattern.

Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards