Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

IETF 97 news and follow up (mainly from my Operations and Management part, i.e. a focus on YANG) + cross SDO information modeling workshop

Dear all,
The
IETF 97 ended. It's now time for my high level summary. With some delay, however, I combined it with some information about a DT-organized workshop about information modeling last week.

Before the IETF 97 week, I created this blog,
YANG Quick Status Update Before this IETF 97 to stress to the community the important topics for the meeting.
Let's start with the
Hackathon. Great success, well organized by Charles Eckel (again).
On the YANG front, much improvements:
- A
YANG dependency visual tool, by Joe Clarke, extremely useful to understand the next bottleneck while standardizing YANG modules, and the maturity level of the different YANG modules of interest Here is an example. (Note that Joe is working on this tool right now so no output at this specific point in time) - A YANG DB search, by Joe Clarke again, to understand the potential overlap in the jungle of YANG modules in the industry. - On my side, I integrated two new YANG validators: next to pyang, confdc, we now have yangdump-pro (from Yumaworks) and yanglint. See the results here. The compilation field is based on the outcome of the 4 compilers, to the best of my knowledge, as there is a little bit of analytic here. As you can see, the number of YANG modules that pass compilation dropped. This is fine, as the quality of the YANG modules will eventually improve. Some bugs in the validators are being solved now. - Those three tools should be integrated around the YANG catalog. To understand how these tools start to fit together (this is obviously work-in-progress), and what our end goal is (YANG validation => correlation with existing YANG module => inventory => metadata addition => YANG explorer => YANG Development Kit), have a look at this blog. - Rob Wilton started to work on an early prototype to map the different approaches to construct YANG models (IETF, openconfig, and new proposal). Still no real conclusions so far.

We recently finished the standardization of key documents: - the RESTCONF protocol, as a simplified NETCONF protocol. See a blog on NETCONF versus RESTCONF: capabilitity comparisons (based on the RFC3535 operators requirements)    - the RESTCONF PATCH, a method for applying patches to configuration datastores - Both the BBF and IEEE have now their own URNs to instance their own YANG modules (MEF had already)
All documents are right now in the RFC-editor queue. Therefore, the specifications will remain unchanged.

Regarding the two bottlenecks to publish the YANG models (described in
YANG Quick Status Update Before this IETF 97): - First the schema mount draft, which specifies a mechanism to combine YANG modules into the schema defined in other YANG modules. We made a lot of progress lately, and I expect the final specification soon. - Second, the Revised Conceptual Model for YANG Datastores draft was the focus on the week. It's being accepted by both the NETMOD and NETCONF working groups. Both charters will be updated with new work, to reflect the implications on NETCONF, RESTCONF, YANG languages and YANG modules.
The bottom line is this message:

0 REPLIES 0
Content for Community-Ad
Cisco Community August2020 Spotlight Award Winners
This widget could not be displayed.