Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

installing NSO in a Docker containers

Team

Questions on installing NSO in a Docker containers

Has anyone install NSO in Docker containers with tailf-hcc? If so any issue that I need to be aware of?

Is the instalation of NSO with tailf-hcc supported in Docker containers by the BU? If not what are the plans to have NSO installation support for containers?

Thanks

Tim

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hi Tim,

It is not currently supported.

There are some people that have test it for fun. Do you have any specific use case?

Regards,

Roque

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hi Roque

Our direction is to use  containers. As a company containers are part of our solution in the data centers.

I will need to know when this will be supported as this may determine if NSO will be part of out solution

Thanks

Tim

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hi Tim,

While not intended for production, the WAE demos in dCloud all run in containers.

- And all WAE demos from 6.3 and onwards,  have NSO running in the same container.

Here is a link to the latest sandbox:

https://dcloud2-rtp.cisco.com/content/demo/233448

Cheers,

Niklas

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Tim,

This is a large discussion. As mentioned before, it is trivial to package and distribute NSO for e.g. Docker. The question is rather if the tradeoffs with Docker (e.g. the immutable or preferrably stateless nature of containers) resonates with the service architecture and operational lifecycle of NSO and it’s constituent parts (NEDs, service packages).

Happy to take a call on this to share some of our thoughts and experiences which should probably help in your decision per the below.

--

Carl Moberg

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

From a personal (and team) perspective, it would be nice to be able to pull a containerised NSO from an internal Cisco registry for lab, POC, and demonstration purposes. Having a single source for this internally would help with internal education, lab work, and would remove the development and maintenance overhead of many different SE¹s reinventing the wheel.

--

.:|:.:|:.  Richard Wade

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hi Richard,

For self-education purposes I created a docker image based off NSO 4.2 using Ubuntu 14.04 as the base image.

You can pull it here:

docker pull containers.cisco.com/mifsudb/nso-42-image

As a reference my Dockerfile is attached - I've made no real attempt to optimise it though and I had a copy of NSO 4.2 in my docker folder to build the image.

Content for Community-Ad
Cisco Community August2020 Spotlight Award Winners
This widget could not be displayed.