cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

ITIL and NSO

Hello,

Yesterday I was presenting NSO to Deutsche Bahn (railway) and they asked about how NSO supports ITIL processes. I got a similar question also last week when presenting at Schiphol Airport, so I think its a common concern for enterprise, or at least transport sector.

Is there anything written up on this theme already?

Anyone have any good ideas on how to formulate a response here?

Here is a start:

NSO has fine grained user access controls over our models, so if within the model you had for example an ‘approved’ leaf that only aprrovers can set, a service could be made to only create config if it was approved. In general service models can reflect the state in the process that a service has reached, and so deployment can be made dependant on the processes that are in place.

Thanks for any help with this

Stefano

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Good idea: throw ITIL away…

The point is that automation and ITIL do not necessarily go side-by-side. ITIL requires some manual review of all the changes that are happening in the network and different approval.

I have one about-to-go-in-production bank customer that implements ITIL, the recommendations are:

- Get to know their process as this is different for every customer.

- For the main part NSO will be compatible with their processes but you should pay attention to:

- Their logging needs for auditing.

- Their approval process as you will need to create states into your service as it won’t be able to commit at “once” but just after the review of the different parties.

Cheers!

Roque

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

On 29 Jan 2016 at 13:13:44 , Stefano Novello (snovello) (snovello@cisco.com) wrote:

Anyone have any good ideas on how to formulate a response here?

Here is a start:

NSO has fine grained user access controls over our models, so if within the model you had for example an ‘approved’ leaf that only aprrovers can set, a service could be made to only create config if it was approved. In general service models can reflect the state in the process that a service has reached, and so deployment can be made dependant on the processes that are in place.

And also mention the commit dry-run etc and that that can be used as input to the CAB and also that we could provide the change request with the “rollback” data for a service.

As usual it all depends on their processes, like is it the change process that they would like to have support for? Is the CAB meetings that they need to feed information to or is it that we should handle the approval process?

--
Håkan Niska
+46(0)70-634 66 32

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

If you really like to write something longer you can also mention service re-deploy to get a service running for the incident management process. Maybe also that you can move a service from one device to another pretty easy, that fits pretty well with the incident management.

Håkan Niska

Content for Community-Ad