cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
khgrant
Cisco Employee

Juniper "commit confirm 5" style on NSO

Hi experts,

We are testing some services and from time to time NSO is locked out from the device it´s trying to configure (wrong ACL, TACACS svr, password, etc). Which requires accessing via console and trying to find what went wrong (sometimes even password-recovery process and the test being performed messed with the console access). This sometimes is a pain especially when the actual device is managed by a 3rd party (got to open a ticket requesting factory-reset). Does anyone know if there´s an equivalent for “commit confirm 5” (i.e go back to the previous config if not confirmed within next 5 mins)?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
khgrant
Cisco Employee

Yes,

It is the Cusco config archive feature. https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/blogs/vip-perspectives/2013/10/30/understanding-cisco-auto-archive-feature-to-backup-configuration-file there are lots of youtube videos that demo this capability.

Thanks,

Chris

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your answer. But I think I didn´t explain myself. What I meant is if NSO is able to SEND a kind of “commit confirm 5” to the end device so that in case of a failure the device can go back to a previous state by itselt (as NSO won´t be able to reach it a do a rollback). Do I make sense now?

Cheers

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Hi Alvaro,

NSO function is limited to the commands it sends. If a device is disconnected from NSO, it’ll have to use its own intelligence to rollback, whether that’s built in, like XR, or external, like what Chris suggested. To use only NSO you’ll have to get creative. I can think of a second NSO with the baseline configured and sync-ed to all the devices. And in case first NSO fails, second then sync-to all devices. If first succeeds, second will sync-from.

Regards,

Jack

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Alvaro, if you send the configuration archive command to the router, it will do as you describe roll back the configuration to a known previous state. Then if you are cutoff, the rollback will restore connectivity. You may have to look at sync options to align cdb and config.

Then again I may be misunderstanding your ask.

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Thank you ever so much Chris and Jack!

Content for Community-Ad

This widget could not be displayed.