cancel
Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
eugenio.raciti
Beginner

NFV Management and orchestration

I have a doubt about how should be a basic workflow of creation of VM, VNF and then model a device and a service.

With NCS I create:

• the device model (NED) and sync it with the device configuration
  • the service model (for example vLAN or VPN)

But that suppose I already have the devices.

But If I want to be also the administrator of the NFVI?

Does the orchestrator have the capability to interact directly to a VIM in order to create virtual device?

Should  NCS (as orchestrator) interface directly with a VIM to ask the creation of a VM

or NCS should interface to the VNF Manager (ESC)  and it will interface with the VIM?

Thanks

Eu

19 REPLIES 19
Ajay Pandey
Cisco Employee

Hi Eu,

There are two ways to implement this :-

1. NCS (Orchestrator) <-> ESC(VNFM) <->OpenStack(VIM) . ESC brings in certain value addition in terms of VM health monitoring and dynamic scale-up/down of VMs. This is tested and production grade.

or

2. NCS(Orchestrator)<->OpenStack(VIM)

All it requires is an OpenStack NED. I think a PoC-level NED for OpenStack is currently available.

Thanks,

Ajay

HI Ajay,

is there any technical documentation where to find some details or examples about how to implement both the strategy?

Regards

Raffo

Hi Ajay

thanks for your feedback.

Is it possible to have documentation about the 2 scenarios?

Thank you very much indeed

Eu

Hi all

do you have any update?

It would be very helpfull for us to read some document about.

Thanks!

Hi Eu,

The NSO 4.0 release has/will-have a new example “virtual-mpls-vpn” which shows this. The example also includes the VM Manager.

I'm trying to confirm the release dates of NSO 4.0 with the larger team. Will let you know ASAP.

Thanks,

Ajay

Hi Ajay,

the "VM Manager" you are talking bout, is it the VIM (Virtual Infrastructure Manager) defined by the NFV architecture or something else.

Regards

Raffo

Hi Raffo,

I think the "VM Manager" would be a NCS service package (java+template) which will communicate with VIM (e.g.  ESC) through the NED for VIM (e.g. NED for ESC).

Hope that helps. Once NSO4.0 is released, it'll be clearer.

Thanks,

Ajay

Hi Ajay,

I apologize if I'm not that expert of NFV architecture but since Cisco Elastic Services Controller (ESC) is defined as Virtual Network Functions Manager (VNFM) this similitude is not the appropriate one.

VIM (e.g.  ESC)

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Regards

Raffo

Apologies Raffo...you are correct ESC is VNFM ...

terms and terms

Hi Pandey

where I can find a functional and technical example showing the integration between
NCS (Orchestrator) <-> ESC(VNFM) <->OpenStack(VIM)

deploying a VNF

Regards

Raffo

Hi Raffo,

Have you tried virtual-mpls-vpn example in nso 4.0?

It seems to have a simulated esc giving notifications back to main service package about instantiation of simulated VNFs.

Thanks,

Ajay

Hi Ajay,

tnx virtual-mpls-vpn seems suit to what I was looking for. Would it change something if instead of vPE the service would be deployed on a fisical PE.

I know this sound like a theoretical query but, am I right saying that the mpls-vpn service is the same regardless if it's deployed on a virtual stack or a fisical one. (except for the PE than doesn't need to be created as the vPE by the VIM)

Regards

Raffo

Hi Raffo,

I haven’t run these examples but I think what you are saying is correct. There won’t be much difference in configs too between physical PE e.g. ASR1K and a virtual PE e.g. CSR1Kv. One of the addition in virtual-mpls-vpn example would be that, you’d see vm-manager-esc and vm-manager packages which deal with ,VM-releated NETCONF notifications from ESC e.g. VM_ALIVE notification, and also with subsequent addition of these Vms as devices (e.g. vPE). This is a sample implementation of Reactive Fast Map involving a VNFM such as ESC.

I think there is another example for non-virtualized mpls-vpn which doesn’t involve esc (so that can be thought of exactly applicable to physical PEs (IOS & IOS-XR). However, just be aware that all the examples are using netsim devices built from IOS or IOS-XR NEDS.

Thanks,

Ajay

Hi Ajay,

appreciating you support. I think that's the example I was looking for. Is there any flow diagram describing what's the interaction between NCS (Orchestrator) <-> ESC(VNFM) <->OpenStack(VIM).

Is ESC talking directly to the OpenStack,so implementing a rest protocol, or the interaction is appending through the NCS (tail-f) NEDs.

Regards

Raffo

Create
Recognize Your Peers
Content for Community-Ad