Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
khgrant
Cisco Employee

NSO 4.1 - CDB Replication

Hi guys,

Could someone please advise what is the command line to check on the cdb replication settings ? for both operational data and configuration data.

Below is a snippet captured from NSO4.1 admin guide, operational data is always replicated the same way as configuration data will be replicated, and operational data is always replicated asynchronously, how would it be configured to replicate synchronously then ?

Thanks

Best Regards,

BaoYi Chai

5 REPLIES 5
khgrant
Cisco Employee

Hi Bao,

If you check “man ncs.conf”, the available to change from sync to async is:

/ncs-config/cdb/replication (async | sync) [sync]

When CDB replication is enabled (which it is when high-availability mode is

enabled, see /ncs-config/ha) the CDB configuration stores can be replicated either

asynchronously or synchronously. With asynchronous replication, a transaction

updating the configuration is allowed to complete as soon as the updates have been

sent to the connected slaves. With the default synchronous replication, the

transaction is suspended until the updates have been completely propagated to the

slaves, and the subscribers on the slaves (if any) have acknowledged their

subscription notifications

However, I would use this with great care. You really need to know what you are doing.

I do not believe you can set the operational data to be sync but I think the documentation is confusing as it mentions:  /ncs-config/cdb/operational/

replication, which I can’t find in the man page.

I will kick an internal question and go back to you about that setting.

Roque

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Hi Roque, Thanks for the response.

i’m checking this in our setup – local HA with 1 slave node, within the ncs.conf, nothing was defined for replication settings, see below snippet of cdb section. Does this means the default replication, synchronous ? Replication verified to be working fine, service created on Master is available on Slave when NSO failover.

<cdb>

<db-dir>${NCS_RUN_DIR}/cdb</db-dir>

<!-- Always bring in the good system defaults -->

<init-path>

<dir>${NCS_DIR}/var/ncs/cdb</dir>

</init-path>

</cdb>

Thanks for the follow up on the other query regarding operational data.

Thanks

Best Regards,

BaoYi Chai

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Hi Bao,

Yes, in general if there is no setting in your ncs.conf, the default value applies. The default value is shown between [] in the man page (in this case default=sync).

Regards,

Roque

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Bao,

I would like to reinforce what Roque points out. The replication will sometimes *lose transactions* if you choose async mode, unless you have other mechanisms in place to guard against this. Don't choose async unless you have thought through all scenarios in detail.

Best Regards,

/jan

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Hi Roque, Jan: Noted, thanks.

Thanks

Create
Recognize Your Peers
Content for Community-Ad