Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Cisco Employee

NSO integration to ALU SAM-O?

Hello again,

I have a customer who is interested in using tail-f/NSO for both network roll-out and service creation (once the network is rolled out).

Customer is rolling out ALU SAS-R’s at the MPLS edge/Metro and uses ALU tools for this.

They are though interested in service orchestration that NSO provides but are also interested in rolling out ALU boxes so that MPLS deployment would orchestrated from NSO t

Everyone's tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Re: NSO integration to ALU SAM-O?

Hi Markku,

Please reach out to Ian Emsley, he might have the right solution for you.

Cisco has been investing in a new solution which is currently named as “NSO for ALU”.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

(Previous email was sent too quik…)

Hello again,

I have a customer who is interested in using tail-f/NSO for both network roll-out and service creation (once the network is rolled out).

Customer is rolling out ALU SAS-R’s at the MPLS edge/Metro and uses ALU tools for this.

They are though interested in service orchestration that NSO provides but are also interested in rolling out ALU boxes so that MPLS deployment would orchestrated from NSO too.

If we have any examples or know about customers using it this way, information of how they use it would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

/Markku

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hi Markku,

Please reach out to Ian Emsley, he might have the right solution for you.

Cisco has been investing in a new solution which is currently named as “NSO for ALU”.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Gil, thanks for the reply on this

Markku, please reach out to Gareth Senior (in cc), he has been working an on ALU "attack" approach and can elaborate as needed.

There is a comprehensive demo available on this developed with one on of top NSO ATP partners.

Regards,

Tony

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hi Markku,

Here are some slides describing the demo that we are developing.

I'd be happy to have a call to explore this in more detail if you're interested.

--Ian

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Disclaimer: I have not been in direct discussion with any of these customers, so my comments are speculative :-)

I understand the insertion strategy here is focusing on minimal disruption, and hence the message is that we don¹t touch SAM, and we don¹t touch the southbound API of the OSS, but insert in between with minimal disruption.

However, considering that in all cases where we have sold NSO to provision ALU so far, then we have gone directly to the devices. This has a number of advantages, but probably also some risk Advantages

* As Cisco we want to remove ALU SAM as a customer account control point

* Lower complexity solution, simply because there are fewer systems involved. Particularly areas like HA become a lot more complex once you have more systems involved

* It is hard to maintain transactionality with a system between NSO and hte devices. It is hard enough emulating transactions towards CLI devices with out an intermediate system. The future is obviously NETCONF/YANG, wiht native transactions on the device, and then a non-transactional EMS would be really obstructive.

Risks

* You obviously don¹t want to propose removal of SAM if the customer is really happy with it

* You need to understand the full scope of SAM use - if it is used for software image management, fault management, etc. then you have to be careful, as NSO obviously do not do that. You could however try to use NSO for all configuration, directly to the devices, leaving SAM in place for non-configuration use, but you have to be careful with interference between the systems. SAM may not cope well with devices being configured by another system, so probably best to POC to make sure the proposed solution works for the customer.

Anyway, this is brainstorming more than anything, so take it for what it is worth.

Cheers,

KJ.

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Hi KJ,

Good summary:

On the risks side:

I think SAM works fine when others configure devices directly. It gets an event and re-reads the config. SAMs models are device models so it has no problem representing anything you configure on the device. So that risk, is really quite a small one.

This widget could not be displayed.