cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

NSO - Splitting Service & Device Manager functions

Hi team,

As some know we have a vMS deployment in progress @ Telstra.  Additionally we have other work going on in the account for a standalone NSO deployment.  Very likely we’d have to integrate these systems at a point.

I note in the vMS deployment we have split NSO into a Service Manager node and a Device Manager node.  Is there any documentation available on this deployment pattern? I found some mention in the NSO Clustering guide (about 3 words…) but no real detail.

Specifically - could we have multiple independent Service Managers utilising a single Device Manager node, and rely on the device manager to manage dependencies across the northbound nodes.

I might be able to use this to solve some standalone NSO vs. vMS issues I have pending this way. Along with being able to meet some ISO27001 requires their managed services folks have.

Thanks,

Dan

Everyone's tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Re: NSO - Splitting Service & Device Manager functions

Dan,

As some know we have a vMS deployment in progress @ Telstra.  Additionally we have other work going on in the account for a standalone NSO deployment.  Very likely we’d have to integrate these systems at a point.

I note in the vMS deployment we have split NSO into a Service Manager node and a Device Manager node.  Is there any documentation available on this deployment pattern?  I found some mention in the NSO Clustering guide (about 3 words…) but no real detail.

Specifically -  could we have multiple independent Service Managers utilising a single Device Manager node, and rely on the device manager to manage dependencies across the northbound nodes.

It is certainly possible to have multiple independent service manager nodes that are leveraging a partially or completely overlapping set of device manager nodes. I'm not sure exactly what you expect, though, when it comes to "manage dependencies". The device manager nodes will "manage dependencies" the same way if the services are running locally or remotely.

I might be able to use this to solve some standalone NSO vs. vMS issues I have pending this way.  Along with being able to meet some ISO27001 requires their managed services folks have.

Yes, this design may very well be relevant. No idea what ISO27001 is.

Happy Holidays,

/jan

Highlighted
Cisco Employee

Re: NSO - Splitting Service & Device Manager functions

Thanks Jan – as always very helpful. 

By manage dependencies – I am saying we can rely on the DM node to handle backref pointers such that we don’t remove config that two independent northbound service managers.  Entirely normal behaviour I guess – just the deployment model is new to me.

I don’t really understand the ISO27001 – something to do with security & separation of customer data.  I am hoping I can use this deployment model to help with some of the Telstra folk’s perceived objections & issues.

Have a great holiday if you are taking one.

Dan

Content for Community-Ad
Cisco Community July 2020 Spotlight Award Winners
This widget could not be displayed.