cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

onePK: Python library coverage and setting element properties

Hi all,

I have recently started going through the onePK Python tutorial examples from the all in one downloadable VM and have had a reasonbly painless experience thus far. The tutorial examples are intuitive enough but they leave me questioning the Python API documentation and progress of API coverage. Exploring this currently in 'learner/n00b mode', currently I want to do basic things like change the hostname of the network element just to prove out that setting and getting properties works. Also it's something that most people who would like to see a demo want to see i.e. something safe. So, my first question: Does the Python onePK library support the setting of element properties? If so, does anyone have an example? Third question: Presuming that the Python library supports the setting of properties as well as getting of, is there a referenceable document which covers this? I can't find anything. Perhaps it's down to me being a bit new with onePK and not knowing my way around (yet)!

Thanks in advance.

David

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Beginner

The python API is less complete than java which is less complete than the one for C.

It seems that python is not a priority event if it's supported.

I've check as you and I don't see in the doc something about setting the hostname. Even in Java.

It's possible via VTY but is not portable.

As a safe test you could set the location of the networkElement and read it just after ?

get_location(self)

Gets a Location object associated with the network element.

set_location(self, location)

Sets location information for the network element.

Or doing some test with interfaces that you don't use.

Hope it's help.

Jc

Highlighted
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee

OnePK is not [yet] an API to do configuration deployments.  Something like changing the hostname is a configuration change.  All of onePK changes are designed to be transient.  That is, they only last as long as the application is connected to the network element.  There are some exceptions (i.e., ACLs can be made persistent by setting their lifetime), but in general, nothing from onePK will be placed in the running configuration.

So the short answer to your question is, no.  You cannot change the hostname.  You can, however, apply dynamic ACLs, QoS policies, gather statistics, and react to cert events using the Python API.

There is an "workaround" for what you want to do, though.  Look at the VTY Service Service (com.cisco.onep.vty).  This Service Set lets you pass raw CLI commands over the onePK channel.  You need to enable the VTY SS on the device first using:

onep

service set vty

But after that, config t CLI you pass over this channel will be placed in the running config just as with manual CLI.

Highlighted
Beginner

Jc & Joe,

Thanks for both responding so quickly.

Joe - makes perfect sense and I feel like I've just had the blinkers widened. Thanks. Feel a bit dumb now for asking! Hopefully this thread will be of use for someone who starts out down the same path of thinking the same as I have.

Jc - thanks for responding so quickly and helpfully.

Thanks again,

David

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Python API 1.1.0

1) Yes, I use it for setting ACL, Class maps and route-maps(VTY service set) and routing  listeners.

3) API has not all features, which are in documentations. For example: some features not exist in policymap (ZBFW, PBR,...)

2)

very small example:

'''

Very small example

onepk 1.1.0 - python API

'''

import GosiaParse

import NetworkElement

import onep.interfaces.InterfaceFilter as onepInterfaceFilter

#Load configuration for connect to device

devices = GosiaParse.ParserOperation("GosiaJson.json")

#Crate element and connect on it

testnode = NetworkElement.NetworkElement(**devices.get_device_router_connect_info_v4("1"))

testnode.connect()

#get onePK element => onepk.element

element = testnode.get_network_element()

#get properties of element

element_properties = element.properties

print element_properties

#get interfaces of device

list_of_interfaces = element.get_interface_dict(onepInterfaceFilter())

for interface in list_of_interfaces:

print interface

#disconnect

testnode.disconnect()

I develop only with ipython and documentations.

This widget could not be displayed.