Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
khgrant
Cisco Employee

provisioning: NSO vs ODL?

Anyone has an insightful comparison between NSO and ODL from provisioning point of view? It seems there are so many similarities, but as I have no hands-on experience on ODL so pls someone shed a light.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
khgrant
Cisco Employee

Yes, the very short version is that NCS/NSO is a
network service lifecycle orchestrator, and ODL is an control plane application
platform.
If you look at the attached slide, you see NSO in the RFS-layer, and
ODL/OSC sits in the infrastructure layer.
Yes, the very short version is that NCS/NSO is a network service lifecycle orchestrator, and ODL is an control plane application platform.
  If you look at the attached slide, you see NSO in the RFS-layer, and ODL/OSC sits in the infrastructure layer.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
khgrant
Cisco Employee

Yes, the very short version is that NCS/NSO is a
network service lifecycle orchestrator, and ODL is an control plane application
platform.
If you look at the attached slide, you see NSO in the RFS-layer, and
ODL/OSC sits in the infrastructure layer.
Yes, the very short version is that NCS/NSO is a network service lifecycle orchestrator, and ODL is an control plane application platform.
  If you look at the attached slide, you see NSO in the RFS-layer, and ODL/OSC sits in the infrastructure layer.

View solution in original post

khgrant
Cisco Employee

ODL is a opensource sdn controller , It have an out of box usecase of BGP LSP , and ACL so far and the PCEP protocol on bandwidth optimization , in another word , the dynamic path recaculation  Now it is works  well with cisco WAE.

Well NSO is more strength on service activation with transaction control .

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Thanks. I know there're other capabilities in ODL that's why I focus the discussion on the overlapped part – provisioning.

Do you imply ODL does NOT support network-wide TRANSACTION?

khgrant
Cisco Employee

that would be a big statement to make , not really know that much in-depth , but from ODL architecture I couldn’t picture it does , it support netconf ,  but would be only on per device transaction , the NSO support the Network –wide transaction  I think it is because NSO itself is  netconf compliance .  which is not the same case with ODL

khgrant
Cisco Employee

If all NE is netconf capable and supports "confirmed-commit", it's super easy to do network-wide transaction per my understanding.

If not (not netconf NE or no "confirmed-commit" support), I have no idea of what ODL/OSC can do

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Both ODL and NCS has NETCONF interfaces. It does not mean they have the same capabilities between the northbound and southbound. IMHO the asset behind NCS is its capability to map from the service intent into the minimum device(s) configuration changes. I am not sure if that is what ODL is able to do.

khgrant
Cisco Employee

I was asking the same question – which one is good at what

btw: does it make a big difference of minimum versus full configuration change?

khgrant
Cisco Employee

There is also the positioning paper by Ward/Krohn/Millroth

https://cisco.box.com/s/u3uwfbbtl5bkoqw3ujx4hf72x2ccrrwn

It doesn’t specifically answer your question, but could be useful still

khgrant
Cisco Employee

I am aware of that and did read it

khgrant
Cisco Employee

One important thing to note - if you use ODL for multi-vendor provisioning via NETCONF/YANG, your application sending the REST APIs to ODL has to be smart enough to know what kind of devices it is configuring – for e.g. XR and Junos has different YANG and XML schema – and this is done by the service to device mapping logic in NCS.

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Is it also true for CLI-managed devices?

khgrant
Cisco Employee

If I understand correctly, are you saying if we can use ODL to manage CLI only devices?

khgrant
Cisco Employee

I mean – borrowing your initial statement -

"if you use ODL for multi-vendor provisioning via CLI, your application sending the REST APIs to ODL has to be smart enough to know what kind of devices it is configuring – for e.g. XR and Junos has different CLI – and this is done by the service to device mapping logic in NCS."-- is this correct?

khgrant
Cisco Employee

AFAIK, OpenDaylight can’t render configurations into a network device via CLI. ODL uses Netconf/YANG for network device configurations. I have tried this with a Juniper m10i and the earlier  XR Terastream code.

Content for Community-Ad