Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
khgrant
Cisco Employee

RFP help needed.

Hi team,

I’m working on RFP where NSO is being positioned. One of the questions is about client - server communication (as below). Does anyone know document describing it over device CLI that is common case since majority of network devices don’t support native NC? To my understanding implementation depends on device capabilities and each CLI NED does it differently (i.e. IOS vs XR), so I’m looking for ANY description.

Provide a full description of the work-flow between the client and server, specifying each phase of configuration (write, read, delete, commit, roll-back, error management, etc.).

Any pointer is appreciated.

--
Cheers
Przemyslaw “Prem" Borek

5 REPLIES 5
khgrant
Cisco Employee

Hi Prem,

To be clear, in this context client means NSO and server means a device (using CLI)?

--Ian

khgrant
Cisco Employee

That’s right, Ian.

--
Cheers
Przemyslaw “Prem" Borek

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Hi Prem,

Would it make sense to respond in a slightly different manner:

NSO platform connects to the South-Bound elements using the public interface exposed by the respective device/platform/vendor. This is done by using Network Element Drivers (NEDs) which leverage the constructs that a device/vendor offers, there-by managing the configuration complexity irrespective of the SB protocol. North-Bound systems get a normalised YANG based view which they can readily consume to get the desired network configuration outcome.

Basically, conveying the message that interfacing with the device layer is not their problem anymore, leave that to Cisco. Rather they should move up the stack and innovate at the “Services Layer” where their real competitive advantage would come from.

Thanks,

Bilal.

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Thank you Bilal. That might be the option, however customer is looking for much detailed information. Netconf interface is well defined in RFC, whereas CLI NED depends on a platform capabilities (e.g. transaction support). I’ll check NED developer guide.

--
Cheers
Przemyslaw “Prem" Borek

khgrant
Cisco Employee

Sure. Please note that we have a big NED library and each device/vendor will have their own nuances. The NED with its device-model abstracts all that out.

Thanks,

Bilal.

Create
Recognize Your Peers
Content for Community-Ad