Community Helping Community

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Run another instance of NCS

Hi,

I see from the documentation that creating different run-time directory I can run different instance of NCS.

Which parameter should I configure to avoid the 2 different instance to be in conflict.

Regards

Raffo

Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Beginner

Re: Run another instance of NCS

When you use "ncs --stop" for example, ncs will look for the NCS_IPC_PORT environment variable to determine which port to use for IPC. If it is not there, it will default to 4569. If you set the variable to be 5570, that it will talk to the right NCS instance.

Additionally, you should add another environment variable when starting a second instance in order to have the other Java VM. talk to the right NCS instance. For example: NCS_JAVA_VM_OPTIONS=-Dport=5570 -Xmx1024M

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Cisco Employee

Raffo, usually there is no need to run multiple instances of NCS on one machine at the same time. You run one instance of NCS from one test directory: when done, stop the NCS instance, then go to another directory to run NCS for another test. If you really want to run multiple instances of NCS on one machine at the same time, search <port> in ncs.conf to make sure they are different from each instance.

Beginner

Hi

actually for my experience it is not enough to change the port.

I modified the file ncs.conf on my ncs-run-02 directory, and I added these lines:

<ncs-ipc-address>

<ip>127.0.0.1</ip>

<port>5570</port>

</ncs-ipc-address>

</ncs-config>

Then I used this command:

ncs -c ./ncs.conf

In this way we had 2 ncs instances running, but we were not able to stop them separately.

Cisco Employee

Start with "ncs --foreground --stop-on-eof", then use CTRL-d to stop specific instance. "ncs --help" has more details.

If you could provide more details on why 2 instances need to run at the same time on same machine, it may be helpful for better answers.

Beginner

When you use "ncs --stop" for example, ncs will look for the NCS_IPC_PORT environment variable to determine which port to use for IPC. If it is not there, it will default to 4569. If you set the variable to be 5570, that it will talk to the right NCS instance.

Additionally, you should add another environment variable when starting a second instance in order to have the other Java VM. talk to the right NCS instance. For example: NCS_JAVA_VM_OPTIONS=-Dport=5570 -Xmx1024M

View solution in original post

Content for Community-Ad
FusionCharts will render here