cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lock phone via AXL

floatingpurr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks, I'm wondering if there is a way to lock a phone using CUCM's AXL. I'm looking for different available locking flavors, e.g.:

- lock dialing

- lock specific number patterns

or something equivalent. Is there anything available out of the box?

Thanx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

• Extension Mobility sounds like perhaps the best fit:
    • The CUCM admin configures two device profiles for the target phone - i.e. one with 911-only and one with full access
    • At the phone, the user presses a button to access the E/M login screen, types in a pin, then the phone changes configuration (e.g. to the full access profile).  Via the same screen the user can logout (e.g. to the 911 only profile)
  • IP Phone Services API can be used to build web-site like applications the user interacts with via phone screen/touchscreen/buttons, etc.
    • This kind of application will require a web-server/service in place to provide the application logic.
    • There is no on-phone CGI/scripting capability - a server is always required.
    • The web service can initiate an Extension Mobility login/logout on behalf of the phone, or do something more specific/granular via AXL (such as change the phone's CSS)

Note: any phone CSS (or other) configuration will need to be done via CUCM AXL - there are no on-phone config APIs

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One way to limit what users can dial is to use a Forced Authentication Code (addFacInfo in AXL).  Here's a description of what it does from the help page:

2022-02-09_105226.png

As for locking phones, you can do this with 3rd party software.  Or you can use extension mobility and calling search spaces. This fellow does a better job than I can do. Go to this community link and scroll down to William Bell's response.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/lock-unlock-for-cisco-phone/td-p/1463137

In general, you will want to do this by manipulating the configured calling search space on the phone, i.e. so that only the 911 CSS is in effect.  Note that CSS can be configured at the device level, and at the line/DN level (aka routePartition)

floatingpurr
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you folks. Thank you for your suggestions. I guess there isn't any simple solution to set up a simple PIN-lock mechanism, without affecting "core" configurations or using a 3rd party software. Right?

Extension mobility (EM) gives you the ability to set up a simple PIN-unlock mechanism. But as far as I know, you can't use an AXL EM API alone to lock the phone. You need to add CSS and configure it all to work. I haven't tried William Bell's method, but it makes sense to me.

Thank you. Can you trigger the CSS variation directly from the phone with an API-like call?

• Extension Mobility sounds like perhaps the best fit:
    • The CUCM admin configures two device profiles for the target phone - i.e. one with 911-only and one with full access
    • At the phone, the user presses a button to access the E/M login screen, types in a pin, then the phone changes configuration (e.g. to the full access profile).  Via the same screen the user can logout (e.g. to the 911 only profile)
  • IP Phone Services API can be used to build web-site like applications the user interacts with via phone screen/touchscreen/buttons, etc.
    • This kind of application will require a web-server/service in place to provide the application logic.
    • There is no on-phone CGI/scripting capability - a server is always required.
    • The web service can initiate an Extension Mobility login/logout on behalf of the phone, or do something more specific/granular via AXL (such as change the phone's CSS)

Note: any phone CSS (or other) configuration will need to be done via CUCM AXL - there are no on-phone config APIs

Thank you @npetrele and @dstaudt, I really appreciate your hints. AFAIU, the advantage of the bare extension mobility approach is relying only on the CUCM with its very own capabilities (e.g., redundancy, availability, scalability, etc...). Introducing another server in the machinery definitely adds more capabilities to what you can do at the application level. AFAIU, this server can't be a simple single box, otherwise you are probably in front of a Single Point of Failure. You might really want some type of architecture to keep such a system up & running (e.g., server replicas).

PTS
Spotlight
Spotlight

In case you are open to 3rd party solutions you can check out Parsec's MARS Phone Lock Unlock application for Cisco IP Phones.

PFA a short writeup on the application.

Advantages of MARS Phone Lock/Unlock along with Cisco Extension Mobility(EM)

To prevent misuse of a phone in his absence a user needs to logout his EM profile before leaving his desk and from then on all further incoming calls will be directly diverted to his voice mail.

In such a case any person calling (might be customer/boss) might have the impression that the person is not in office.
If Mars Lock/Unlock is present then all the incoming calls will first land on the phone and on not being answered the call will be diverted to the voice mail.

On returning to his desk the employee has to check each of his voice mail to know the calls he has missed.
If MARS Lock/Unlock is present then the employee on returning to his desk can see the list of missed calls at the click of a button.

With MARS Lock/Unlock if required the employee can ask his colleague to answer an important call which he is expecting when he is not in his desk which will not be possible by logging out his EM profile because the call will not land on the phone.

Note: Mars Lock/Unlock application works for both EM & Non-EM users

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: