cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using the Cisco Media Sense 8.5 REST API properly?

Just trying to start using Medie Sense to create a proof of concept application for 'record on demand' situations, and we started to look great until we realized there was unexpected behaviour on how the 'forking' (of the call) was being done, or even if it was done or we are doing something the wrong way.....

We are currently using the Cisco Media Sense 8.5 REST API to authenticate, and call into “startRecording”, “stopRecording”, and “convertSession” APIs.  These APIs don’t look like they provide any options for what type of recording is going to take place, and the behavior we are seeing is that Cisco Media Sense calls the Cisco 7962 phone (defined with a recording profile), so we can conference the “recording” phone call into the current phone call.  This all works (as long as you have a busy trigger set appropriately) and we can record and get our recording, etc., but this isn't really how our business users would want to interfact with this. They woudl need a usage more seamless; really no work on their part for the phone device (i.e. conferencing the recording leg in).

I see from the documentation that Media Sense also supports “forking media” from the IP phone.  However, looking further at the documentation, I see no mention of where/how to configure the phone to initiate the media fork to Cisco Media Sense, rather than media sense initiating the call to the phone.  It mentions looking at another set of documentation, that I dug into, and also didn’t see any mention of how to configure this.

Is there a way to make the “startRecording” API work with MEDIA forking from the phone – or make it configurable so the developer can specify whether MEDIA forking should take place, or whether a phone call should be received from Media Sense to start the recording?  Is there another API that we should be looking at that would accomplish this? We may be using the wrong APIs?

Any information on getting started and wher we went wrong would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

12 Replies 12

krehor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Greg,

MediaSense does not control the media forking. It (typically) records upon being invited to a conversation by a call control mechanism.

Media forking is controlled either by:

• CUCM (built-in bridge in IP phones, or gateways starting in version 10) or
  • IOS dial peers in CUBE.

CUCM can be configured to initiate media forking automatically for

• all calls
  • on-demand by the end user (using the recording softkey that can be provisioned on the phone, CUCM 9.1 or later)
  • selectively for some calls based on a CTI event from a 3rd-party application.

See the CUCM recording and monitoring documentation for how to configure recording on CUCM.

Features and Services Guide for Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Release 10.0(1) - Monitoring and Recording  [Cisc…

This application note from the CUBE team explains how to setup recording with CUBE:

Cisco MediaSense and Cisco Unified Border Element (CUBE) for Network based Media Recording Solution - Cisco Support Comm…

The MediaSense Start and Stop Recording APIs are for initiating an outbound recording session to a single endpoint.

We highly recommend utilizing the latest version of MediaSense; version 10 became available this month.

Ken Rehor

Product Manager, MediaSense

Hello,

Thank you very much for the reply, that explains our 'strange' (but now understood) behaviour. I believe we have Media Sense set up correctly (at 8.5) and our phones recording profiles, but is there some example or documentaiton on how to do what you listed as:

• selectively for some calls based on a CTI event from a 3rd-party application.

We would like to use it as an on demand recording system. Is this just the CTI Api using media sense as its recorder?

I saw 10.0 was out this month, but the migration to that is months off and we are hoping to see what Media Sense (or by proxy CTI commands) can do for our business.

Thanks for any information.

Hi all,

I am new in Mediasense, I want to create a simple call recording App that I want to record call made on specific agent extension. I am using this API call: http://192.168.200.204:8440/ora/controlService/control/startRecording

with body:

{

"requestParameters": {

"deviceRef": "42021",

"mediaStreams": [

{

"mediaType": "AUDIO"

}

]

}

}

Now, I want to record calls received on extension '42021'. But I am un-able to find out where it stores the recoreded file ? Or what else I need to do If I am missing anything ? or any sample app or tutorial link will also be appreciated.

Thanks,

There is a sample app for MediaSense 9.0 only in the documentation folder of the MediaSense tech center here

https://developer.cisco.com/site/collaboration/recordings/mediasense/documentation/

You retrieve recordings using the Session API.

@Delender,

I have read the whole API Documentation. Yes, by Session API we retrieve

recordings but first we will record call then will be able to retrieve that

recorded session. I am confuse that what will be the procedure of recording

a call ? Will I have to make API call that I mentioned above ? And if yes

then how recording will be handeled ? either it will record each call make

to particular deviceref we specified in API call or we will have to make

this API call before any call we want to record ?

And furthermore, I have seen this sample app but unfortunately I could not

get code where calls will be recording

Hi Krehor, i have CUCM 8.6.2 and i´d like to know if the "on-demand recording" with mediasense using the record softkey template it works?

Thanks,

Thiago

To use the UCM on-demand recording softkey you need UCM 9.0.1 or later. It’s a UCM feature that invokes a recording session in MediaSense.

Ken

But the option "record softkey" appears on CUCM 8.6.

The record key in 8.6 can only be activated by an policy server for chaperone calls, it is part of External call control feature. It is not available to general phone calls

Ok, now i understand, thanks for your help.

Thanks for the info, I was trying to get it work for ever and can't find the issue .. CUCM 8.6 ... thats why

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: