Views
Helpful
Replies

100G to 10G converter

sajith.balan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I have a unique situation where I need to convert a 100G metro Ethernet circuit to 10G. Optical gear is only capable of 100GE circuit. But some of my routers are not yet ready for 100GE. So I need to use some kind of device in the middle to take the 100GE circuit and connect to the router on 10GE. What are my options that I wouldn't have to worry about QoS, performance etc? Are there any bump in the wire kind of solution?

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Adam Vitkovsky
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Well in order to do 100GE to 10GE you need to perform Optical-Electrical-Optical conversion so no bump in a wire solution I’m afraid.

I think you need to be looking at the cheapest possible L2 switch with 100GE uplink and 10GE revenue interfaces.

You could expect that the cheapest possible L2 switch will have no buffers so you’d have to make sure that the end connected at 100GE will never send anything above 10GE.

adam

adam

Thanks Adam. Yes, thats one of the options. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: