Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1ag and Y.1731

ksriram29
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

802.1ag defines and classifies MEP as 'Down MEP' and 'Up MEP' where as Y.1731 doesn't classify MEPs. How will be the implementation when a device supports both 802.1ag and Y.1731 standards? Can we assume the MEP in Y.1731 implementation always to be a 'Down MEP'?

Why have two different standard bodies defined separate standards for the same functionality ( CC, LT and LB)?

Thanks,

-Sriram K

2 Replies 2

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

mep-up -- Generates a trap when a new remote maintenance end point (MEP) has been discovered and learned by the device or when a change occurs in the port state of a previously discovered remote MEP.

mep-down -- Generates a trap when a device has lost connectivity with a remote MEP or when connectivity from a previously learned remote MEP is restored after interruption.

Thanks for your reply. I think I wasn't clear enough. By the terms "Up MEP" and "Down MEP", I meant the direction of the MEP and not the state. In cisco's terms Up MEP = Inward facing MEP(MAC Relay entity side transmission) and Down MEP = Outward facing MEP(wire side transmission).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: