Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR920 SFP Issues

Andrew Judson
Community Member

Have been experiencing a lot of issues with OIR with SFPs in the new ASR920 Platform (ASR-920-24SZ-M)

eg.

%TRANSCEIVER-3-CHECKSUM_ERROR: F0: iomd: Detected in the transceiver module in TenGigabitEthernet0/0/27, module disabled

also

%TRANSCEIVER-3-INIT_FAILURE

or

just a no show, no log errors but ...

sw1#show hw-module all entity

transceiver 24

container index:        695

module entity index:    0

port index:             0

chassis index:          0

operational status:     (0) error

non-zero xcvr sensors:

========================

After trying multiple IOS versions and trains, this issue appears to have all been fixed in

asr920-universalk9_npe.03.16.03a.S.155-3.S3a-ext.bin

All SFPs work reliably now including BXU/D, 10G-LR, 10G-ER etc

Cisco yet to post release notes for this IOS but I can't fault it in our network.

Notes:

1) Still obey the recommendation of waiting 30sec between removal and insertion of an SFP

2) Additionally upgraded to latest rom-mon too but was the IOS version above where all magically came good

upgrade rom-monitor filename bootflash:asr920-rommon.155-3r.S1.pkg r0

3 Replies 3

chefwearer
Level 1
Level 1

I've consistently had issues with ASR920's and SFPs not operating correctly on first boot-up of the device. Routinely, the 920 will have to be manually power cycled after being powered on the first time in the field to get the SFPs operational.

This behavior has been witnessed mostly on 3.16.00, but also on 3.16.01a. The version you are running seems more recent, so I will try to use that, too.

We've had the same issue with SFPs failing to pass traffic after a software reboot. We're using ASR-920-12CZ-A with SFPs in the TenGi0/0/13 slot. We've discovered inserting an SFP into TenGi0/0/12 results in TenGi0/0/13 suddenly passing traffic again.

Problem still there on 03.16.04.S

I am running into similar problems, except I am running much newer code:

asr920-universalk9_npe.03.18.00.SP.156-2.SP-ext.bin

Seems the optics have to be re-inserted after every power-on before they work...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: