Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR 920 as a PE Router

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I needs some advice on the suitability of a Cisco ASR 920 that will act as a PE router

We are looking to terminate customer ethernet circuits into our PoP to provide Internet, MPLS, VPLS services. Our provider will aggregate the customer tails onto a single 1Gbps port with each customer being presented as a separate VLAN. Customer A VLAN 101, Customer B VLAN 102 etc.

Each customer will then have a CE installed that will present a different port for Internet, MPLS etc with a different inner VLAN tag being pushed to differentiate the service. So internet services arriving in our PoP for Customer A will have an inner tag of 11 and outer tag of 101

My plan is to terminate the ethernet circuit from our provider onto a port on the ASR 920 and then using EFPs and dot1q matching to place the traffic into the correct service. Internet traffic will be placed into a bridge domain in the global VRF and MPLS traffic will be placed into a bridge domain in the customer’s VRF.

Does this sound like a feasible solution? Carrier Ethernet is new to me so please let me know if I'm completley on the wrong track here

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

That depends on how is the link between ASR 920 and  ASR1001-X is configured,

If it’s just a L2 trunk then:

On ASR920 you can use the same EFP config style on both:

the interface facing your provider

the interface facing  ASR1001-X

and then you can join the particular EFPs (service instances) on these interfaces via common bridge domain.

But bridge domain works like a switch so it will start learning mac addresses, so I’m thinking that in this case you should be able to disable mac-address learning for these p2p bridge-domains.

On ASR1001-X side of the link to ASR920 you’d use the same EFP config style but here you’d use the IP address and VRF on the particular EFP(service instance).

If it’s L3/MPLS then:

You can use PW/xconnect configuration on ASR920 (my example service instance 3  -linked to l2vpn xconnect context con1)

But on ASR1001-X side you would need to use “PW Head End” (PWHE) feature to terminate the PW on an L3 interface and the PWHE is not supported on IOS-XE, I think.

adam

adam

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Adam Vitkovsky
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

The ASR920 was exactly designed for what you described.

The config might look something like this:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0

service instance 1 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 101 second-dot1q 11

vrf forwarding internet-vrf

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

service instance 2 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 101 second-dot1q 12

rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric

bridge-domain 100

service instance 3 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 101 second-dot1q 12

rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric

l2 vfi PE2-VPLS-A manual

vpn id 100

neighbor 10.1.1.1 encapsulation mpls

neighbor 10.3.3.3 encapsulation mpls

bridge domain 100

l2vpn xconnect context con1

member GigabitEthernet0/0/0 service-instance 3

member Pseudowire 100

template type pseudowire eompls

encapsulation mpls

!

interface Pseudowire 100

source template type pseudowire test

neighbor 10.13.13.13 1

adam

adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for this. Quick question (hopefully) - the L3 interface for the Internet VRF needs to be configured on a Cisco ASR1001-X and not on the ASR 920. The ASR1001-X will be directly connected to the ASR 920.

To acheive this, will I need to modify the EFP 'service instance 1 ethernet' in your above example and place it in a bridge domain and then do the same on the ASR1001-X with a BDI interface?

Hi,

That depends on how is the link between ASR 920 and  ASR1001-X is configured,

If it’s just a L2 trunk then:

On ASR920 you can use the same EFP config style on both:

the interface facing your provider

the interface facing  ASR1001-X

and then you can join the particular EFPs (service instances) on these interfaces via common bridge domain.

But bridge domain works like a switch so it will start learning mac addresses, so I’m thinking that in this case you should be able to disable mac-address learning for these p2p bridge-domains.

On ASR1001-X side of the link to ASR920 you’d use the same EFP config style but here you’d use the IP address and VRF on the particular EFP(service instance).

If it’s L3/MPLS then:

You can use PW/xconnect configuration on ASR920 (my example service instance 3  -linked to l2vpn xconnect context con1)

But on ASR1001-X side you would need to use “PW Head End” (PWHE) feature to terminate the PW on an L3 interface and the PWHE is not supported on IOS-XE, I think.

adam

adam

Thanks Adam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: