Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 VS VPLS

belaljordan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

which is better L2 technology ( implemented with 802.1q ) or VPLS technology .

8 Replies 8

mtsb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would vote for VPLS. I have lot of flexibilites and options to use like...

1. VC/VFI scaling

2. H-VPLS where you dont need to bother about configuring all peer PE routers when adding more PEs,

3. BGP AD where you can auto discover your neighbors

4. Gives us option to use mpls related features like TE/FRR etc.

5. We can use port-channel as core facing card which is helpful in swithcing huge customer traffic.

and many more...

Refer to the attached doc that gives you more details on vpls.

Thanks.

Madhu

Thank you for your advice

Hi madhu,

how i can configure Internet access on H-VPLS although no ip address configured under the interface vlan  as the following

interface Vlan #

no ip address

xconnect vfi l2vpn

if you  connecting  different sites using VPLS , then you have a closed  virtual circuit

Thanks

Can I have configure Internet interface vlan  in the same VPLS domain and control which CE router can access this Internet Vlan by configure the attachment circuit on the specific untagged ethernt packet or trunk

Hi,

Iam not sure about your question. Do you want to have an ip address configured on the interface where you have xconnect? If so you do usnig routed-vpls solution I believe.

Thanks,

Madhu

Thanks for you help

Yes I want this but do you have any documentation about r-vpls or any configuration example.

Sorry for getting back late but you can refer to RFC. I have documents which are internal ones and I cannot share with you right now.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sajassi-l2vpn-rvpls-bgp-00

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: