Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of VPLS instances on ME3600X box

k.lapczuk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know what is the current maximum number of VPLS instances on ME3600X (Advanced Metro IP Access license)? I've found on one of the old presentations that this was only 26. And why is this limitation present?

Best regards,

Krzysztof

3 Replies 3

Vivek Ruhil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

you are correct it can support upto 26 VPLS instances with 32 neighbors (both MPLS neighbor and attachement Circuit) per instance. Number of MAC addresses can be 16K overall for the entire box.

for a higher scale requirement you could select ME3800x it supports upto 4000 instances

I've been able to create more than 26 VPLS instance in a single ME3600X box. Not saying that this probes the opposite but it is interesting to know why is this limitation present?

Hi Ricardo,

as for every platform, in the official limitations and restrictions there is a margin of prudence in what the platform can support. Let's say you can configure 40 VPLS instances (never tried) on your 3600X , and you do it with no apparent issue, this implementation would simply fall off the tests which Cisco did on that particular platform. Hence, any bad subsequent behaviour would not be "Cisco fault" and i actually see no reason for doing that.

HTH

Alessio