Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MEF E-line, E-LAN & E-tree services vs MPLS

Dears

Would like your assistance regarding below plz

I was wondering how MEF  E-line, E-LAN & E-tree services are configured at Cisco ??

What come to my mind is that first we need to have MPLS network then implement these services as below

E-line  ---->> EoMPLS  (AToM)

E-LAN ---->> VPLS

E-Tree ---->> Point-to-Mulipoint Traffic Engineering

So am I correct, or I can configure these services without having MPLS network ???

Many Thanks

Sherif Ismail

16 Replies 16

Here is the documentation of ASR9K Carrier ethernet model and is a good reference for the cisco Carrier ethernet framework : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r3.9/lxvpn/configuration/guide/lesc39ethi.html#wp1188343

Cisco Defines three types of services :

• Ethernet Wire Service (EWS), An Ethernet Wire Service is a service that emulates a point-to-point Ethernet segment.
  • Ethernet Relay Service (ERS), Ethernet Relay Service is similar to EWS in that it offers point-to-point connectivity. The key differentiation between EWS and ERS is that an ERS uses a VLAN tag to multiplex several, non-same-destination pseudowires to one port.
  • Ethernet Multipoint Service (EMS), An Ethernet Multipoint Service (EMS) differs from EWS and ERS in that an EMS provides a multipoint connectivity model. It should be noted that an EMS service definition is still under review within the IETF Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) working group.

The MPLS is used to extend your ethernet domain and connect your remote sites or POPs. You can apply these service in a pure metro ethernet domain without MPLS, MPLS is used to expand over your L3 networks through L2VPN technologies!!

Thanks Michalis

Thats was extermely helpful

Is there a similar link for 7600  ??

I am asking this cause all exmaples I have seen at 7600 uses MPLS (ATOM) .. So If you know how would I configure these services without MPLS @ 7600, I would be grateful

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ip_solution_center/4.2/metro_ethernet/user/guide/config.html

Many Thanks

Sherif Ismail

I have made an example with an ethernet virtual circuit that connects two CPEs without mpls and AToM. The config is for 7600 with Ethernet services card (ES or ES+). I've used "local connect" for the connection of the two service instaces. Instead of this you can use bridge-domain and global vlan.

The configuration guide for ES20 is http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/install_config/ES20_config_guide/baldcfg.html and for ES+ is http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/install_config/ES40_config_guide/es40_chap4.html .

p.s. If you dont have ES cards you can use switchport interfaces on the 7600 in trunk mode.

WoW .. great reply

Actually I am new to carrier ethernet and these commands are new to me .. I wonder from where to start

- Anyway, It seems that these commands need to be configured at each device starting from source till destination, correct ?

- Also, If you can share an example for E-LAN without using MPLS, I would be very v.grateful

Appreciate your assistance

Best Regards

Sherif Ismail

Yes you have to provision the vlan from on point to the other. On each node's interfaces you have to configure an ethernet flow point (ie vlan manipulation). For example on a service instance at 7600 you can configure to match one or two vlans and pop one or two vlans.

For multipoint services on 7600 you have to configure all the service instaces which should be communicate under the same bridge domain. It depends on what service you want to deploy, there is not a general configuration guideline for this. For example if you want to have 3 service instances on different interfaces talking together the configuration is :

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

service instance 100 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 100

rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric

bridge-domain 10

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2

service instance 101 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 101

bridge-domain 10

!

interface GigabitEthernet10/3

service instance 102 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 102

bridge-domain 10

The ethernet services configuration on ES cards is very flexible, you can do vlan translation,1 --> 2 mappings, 2 --> 1 mappings. You can see the details on ES configuration guide http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/install_config/ES20_config_guide/baldcfg.html

Best regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael

Your replies were so helpful

My only doubt now is that to configure these commands on each device in path ... it will be v.hectic

Best Regards

Sherif Ismail

Michalis Milaitis,

I like your drawing, however on the UPE why not use dot1q tunnel.  That way you dont have go globally define all vlans comming from the CPE.  The UPE can define one VLan (outer tag or Service Tag), and all incomming vlans ( inner tag or Customer Tag) gets double tagged.

Also instead of using the bridge-domain command in your service instance, use the xconnect command.  The xconnect command will forward all incoming traffic from one port to another port, vs bridge-domain where you have to globally define the vlan and learn all mac-addressses on the incomming ports. 

However if you need to share more than two ports then bridge-domain is the correct answer.

These two suggestions will save overhead and resources on your devices.

Regards

Jude

I used ME3400 is aggregate and configured policy match vlan.

Police 100M is not work with frame size 80 byte.

The destination received 105M so is exceed over 2%.

I tried upgrade and downgrade all other IOS version for ME3400 from cisco.com is same result. (exceed over 2%)

What should I do, please ?

Hi, can you send a copy of your PMAP?

Sounds like the 100M in your bps cir might be incorrect.

Rgds.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

SW-A#sho policy-map int g0/2
GigabitEthernet0/2

Service-policy input: mef14_vlan4051-2_100mb

Class-map: vlan_4051 (match-all)
      0 packets
      Match: vlan  4051

Service-policy : mef14_100mb

Class-map: class-default (match-any)
          0 packets, 0 bytes
          5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
          Match: any       
      police cir 100000000 bc 50000
         conform-action transmit
         exceed-action drop
      conform: 12058350 (packets) exceed: 71540858 (packets)

Class-map: vlan_4052 (match-all)
      0 packets
      Match: vlan  4052

Service-policy : mef14_100mb

0 packets, 0 bytes
         conform-action transmit
         exceed-action drop
      conform: 15329372 (packets) exceed: 100815697 (packets)

0 packets, 0 bytes
SW-A#

Hi,

Did you explicitly configured the bc of 50000? From my test ME34EG, IOS is calculating a bc of 1000000? Perhaps you can change the bc.

CPT_Test_ME-3400EG-2CS#sh policy-map TEST100

Policy Map TEST100

Class class-default

police cir 100000000 bc 1000000

conform-action transmit

exceed-action drop

Also, are you doing a proper RFC 2544 test with test instruments?

Rgds,

Yes, I  explicitly configured the bc is 50000.

policy-map mef14_100mb

class class-default

conform-action transmit

exceed-action drop

I can't configure less than this.

SW_A(config-pmap-c)#    police cir 100000000 bc 40000

Conform burst size increased to 50000

I test with frame size 600 or 1500 byte is worked. but, frame size 80 byte is not worked.

Perhaps try an leave it on the IOS calculated default: bc 1000000

Any reason for explicitly to 50000?

Cheers.

Today, I changed to not explicitly (IOS calculated default). It's still not worked (exceed over 2%).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: