cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Protection in VPLS - Draft

sultan-shaikh
Level 3
Level 3

The VPLS draft as written by Mr. Lasserre, Mr. V. Kompella and company does not speak about "protection" in VPLS, I have seen a couple of vendors diverting from the standard in the name of providing "protection", requesting to let me know whether is there any standard for the same or have I overlooked the draft.

Thank You.

4 Replies 4

w-lam
Level 1
Level 1

Since VPLS is actually building on top of MPLS (i.e. use MPLS network to provide L2VPN features on the PE), so all the protection mechanism (e.g. Fast reroute, backup or standby LSP) within the VPLS network (i.e. PE to P to PE) is provided by MPLS layer.

For the CPE protection, (e.g. dual attached L2 CPE)you may need to look for some features like BPDU tunneling, Loop detection, MAC-widthdraw.

For Scalibility, you need to check if vendors support H-VPLS with dual homed MTUs for not. If QinQ is used as options, you need to check if limitation of the RSTP is acceptable or not. Some minor feature like MPLS over Link aggregation, MPLS over 10GE and MAC table are also need to be considered.

hope this help.

Eric

Eric,

Thanks for your reply, yes, I am aware of protection offered my MPLS, I was looking at it not only from path protection but also protection to Switching Instances (VSI) and stuff..

I haven't seen any standard mentioning that, hence was just a bit curious...

Thanks

sultan

Sultan,

if you can let me know more specific on the requirement, I maybe able to give some info.

Eric

Hello Eric,

To state more specifically, I meant that protection as in paths, LSP etc. is okay, I would like to know of some industry standards that talk about protection of VPLS service in it's entirety and not just paths... Protection in Switching Instances for example...

I have gone thru Lassere/Vach Kompella draft and found none... same thing for K.Kompella draft... I might be missing something... or not being able to grasp it appropriately, so just wanted to have more opinions on the same...

Thanks,

Sultan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: