Views
Helpful
Replies

relocate metro ethernet from cisco 2960x to 3850x

anitaleung2019
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am a newbie to handle the cisco equipment. grateful if you would help to enlighten me how to handle the ME circuit relocation from cisco 2960x to cisco 3850x

Q1. any modification is required before the ME circuit relocation? if yes, which one and how to rectify it, any service impact on it

Q2. any tuning on the ethernetchannel setting on 3850X (or 2960X) side.

Thanks

background info:

- there are two ME circuits, they are connected single 2960X in KLN and single 2960X in NT

- the ethernetchannel is configured on 2960X with LACP. both 2960X switches are normal

- cisco 2960X and 3850X is connected via access port

- There are two ethernet switches (cisco 3850X) in KLN, it is required to move the ME circuit to each cisco 3850X

A. below is 2960X config in KLN,

!

system mtu routing 1500

spanning-tree mode pvst

interface Port-channel1

description connect ME circuit in NT

switchport mode trunk

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode active

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/12

switchport mode trunk

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
description connect from 2960x to 3850 for vlan 50
switchport access vlan 50
switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
description connect from 2960x to 3850 for vlan 80
switchport access vlan 80
switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast

!

VTP setting is server

!

B. below is cisco 2960X config in NT

!

spanning-tree mode pvst

interface Port-channel1

description connect ME in KLN

! ! there is no any setting under port channel

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10

switchport mode trunk

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/12

switchport mode trunk

!

C. below is the cisco 3850x with stack config

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

! Pre-config ethernetchannel

interface Port-channel1
switchport mode trunk

interface TenGigabitEthernet3/0/10
description connect to ME circuit 1

shut

interface TenGigabitEthernet3/0/5
connect to cisco 2960x for vlan 50
switchport access vlan 50
switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast

!

interface TenGigabitEthernet4/0/10
description connect to ME circuit 2

shut

!

VTP setting is server

!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dear Jaderson Pessoa,
Thanks for your configuration.
Below is the ans for your question
"For what reason you have a connection between ME and 2960x in KLN?"
Ans: KLN is new site and some testing servers are connected in it. For some reason, the new 3850X shipment is delivery over half year. the temp 2960X is temp to install for it.

I have some questions would like to seek for your advice. grateful if you would enlighten me.

Q1. the spanning tree protocol is different between 2960X and 3850X. any impact if we migrate the ME to new 3850X?

R: I suggest to you use the same protocol version on whole network, but in theory you wont have problem.

CSTP: working with timers, around 50 seconds to enable a interface to forwarding, it is slowly

RSTP and others: working with agreements proposal, so it is very faster to convergency

Q2. there are some VLAN ID is missing (i.e. VLAN 80), do we need to create it on 3850X before the ME relocation?

R: Yes, it is necessary to create it on 3850x, exemple below to create it;

sw(config):# vlan 80

sw(config):# name AQUINOMEDAVLAN

sw(config):# exit

sw(config):# interface vlan 80

sw(config-vlan):# description AQUIDESCRICAODAVLAN 

sw(config-vlan):# exit

Q3. the VTP mode is server. Any impact if I change as "transparent"? Is it configured before or after ME relocation?

R: Changing it to transparent mode is a good practices, because it reset the revision of a switche, that can change all topology if have wrong configurations; In resume: Change it to transparent mode before input in your network

Q4. the new maintenance contractor suggests us to use "trunk mode" to interconnect the 2960X and 3850X (not recommend to use "access mode"). Any idea on it?

R: switchport trunk mode ( will allow other vlans to pass through this conneciton, so in the future if you need pass other networks in between these switches, you do not change anything between the trunks.

R: But is depends of your necessity, you wont have a problem because you input it in "access mode"

Q5. if access mode is changed to "trunk mode", any configuration we need to aware, grateful if you would share it with me.

Your help is much appreciated.

R: well, if you need change it to trunk mode, you can use two commands under interfaces 

switchport mode trunk   (define interfaces as trunk)

switchport trunk allowed vlan xyz  (allow just traffic from specific vlans)

switchport nonegociate (dont negociate trunk mode)

ip dhcp snooping  (allow this interfaces as trusted to dhcp packets)

If i can help in any other things, let me know.

Please, mark as solved and helpful all answers that were help you. Because it will helps other people with the same doubts.

Regards,

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
well, this configurations is very simple.

Could you post a simple topology of this devices?
Jaderson Pessoa

Hi Jaderson Pessoa,

attached please find the diagram. Please let me know if you find any information is still missing. Thanks

@anitaleung2019 Hello,

The configuration below will be used to map a new connection between ME and the two 3850x.

CONFIGURATION ON 3850X

interface portchannel 11
description "CONNECTION_3850X TO ME"
switchport mode trunk

interface GigabitEthernet 3/0/1 (if disponible)
description "Port Channel 11 ME CIRCUIT 1"
switchport mode trunk
channgel-group 1 mode active

interface GigabitEthernet 4/0/1 (if disponible)
description "Port Channel 11 ME CIRCUIT 2"
switchport mode trunk
channgel-group 1 mode active

metro.PNG

For what reason you have a connection between ME  and 2960x in KLN? 

I think that is not necessary with new connection

Regards,

Jaderson Pessoa

Dear Jaderson Pessoa,
Ans: KLN is new site and some testing servers are connected in it. For some reason, the new 3850X shipment is delivery over half year. the temp 2960X is temp to install for it.

I have some questions would like to seek for your advice. grateful if you would enlighten me.
Q1. the spanning tree protocol is different between 2960X and 3850X. any impact if we migrate the ME to new 3850X?
Q2. there are some VLAN ID is missing (i.e. VLAN 80), do we need to create it on 3850X before the ME relocation?
Q3. the VTP mode is server. Any impact if I change as "transparent"? Is it configured before or after ME relocation?
Q4. the new maintenance contractor suggests us to use "trunk mode" to interconnect the 2960X and 3850X (not recommend to use "access mode"). Any idea on it?
Q5. if access mode is changed to "access mode", any configuration we need to aware, grateful if you would share it with me.

Anita Leung

Hi
typo is in Q5. it should be
Q5. if access mode is changed to "trunk mode", any configuration we need to aware, grateful if you would share it with me.

Dear Jaderson Pessoa,

R: I suggest to you use the same protocol version on whole network, but in theory you wont have problem.

CSTP: working with timers, around 50 seconds to enable a interface to forwarding, it is slowly

RSTP and others: working with agreements proposal, so it is very faster to convergency

R: Yes, it is necessary to create it on 3850x, exemple below to create it;

sw(config):# vlan 80

sw(config):# name AQUINOMEDAVLAN

sw(config):# exit

sw(config):# interface vlan 80

sw(config-vlan):# description AQUIDESCRICAODAVLAN 

sw(config-vlan):# exit

R: Changing it to transparent mode is a good practices, because it reset the revision of a switche, that can change all topology if have wrong configurations; In resume: Change it to transparent mode before input in your network

R: switchport trunk mode ( will allow other vlans to pass through this conneciton, so in the future if you need pass other networks in between these switches, you do not change anything between the trunks.

R: But is depends of your necessity, you wont have a problem because you input it in "access mode"

R: well, if you need change it to trunk mode, you can use two commands under interfaces 

switchport mode trunk   (define interfaces as trunk)

switchport trunk allowed vlan xyz  (allow just traffic from specific vlans)

switchport nonegociate (dont negociate trunk mode)

ip dhcp snooping  (allow this interfaces as trusted to dhcp packets)

If i can help in any other things, let me know.

Please, mark as solved and helpful all answers that were help you. Because it will helps other people with the same doubts.

Regards,

Jaderson Pessoa
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: