cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Beacons - some identified as Beacons and others as Interferers

dabapiwb1
Level 1
Level 1

On the CMX Detect and Locate maps, some beacons are identified as Beacons and others are identified as Interferers, though with Device Type set to BLE_BEACON.

What makes a beacon be treated as an interferer versus a beacon?  My only guess (based on the beacons I'm testing with) is if a beacon emits data that doesn't match a known beacon specification like iBeacon or Eddystone, it's designated an interferer, but I'm not sure and would like to understand the CMX behavior here.

In my case, it's helpful for the item to be treated as a beacon because they have better support in the CMX API, especially including the ability to query for location.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

matfarre
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Are you able to change the beacon state by selecting beacon from manage tab and marking beacon to known?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

The beacons which are reported as such on the Activity Map (Detect & Locate tab) do show up also on the Beacons Activity Map (Manage tab) and can be marked as known.  But those beacons which are identified as interferers on the Activity Map (D&L) do not appear anywhere on the Beacons Activity Map (Manage), and so I cannot marked those as known from that map.

Don.

Hi Don,

I am still waiting for information from the CMX folks regarding your question.  I posted a question the their mailer, which I will revise and mark as still open issue.  I will follow up soon.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Don,

Got a reply from the CMX folks.  Appears to be a bug, so I will open and monitor a bug support ticket.  I will update this discussion with a new post when we get a resolution to this issue.  CSCvc12919

Thank you for the questions,

Matt

This is one where you should open a bug.

This is not designed behavior but is incorrect.

Can you open CDETS and put me in interest list

Hi Don,

I have new information from the CMX engineering team:

Beacons are treated as Interferer if they do not pass a CRC check that validates the payload as a Beacon.

If they do, then they are treated as a Beacon.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Don,

Regarding the bug mentioned above, ticket CSCvc12919, is targeted for CMX 10.3 release.  The CMX engineer assigned to the ticket would like to know more about the bug.  Would you please email me so I can put you in touch with them.

Thanks,

Matt

matfarre@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: