Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

Cisco CMX BLE Beacon

Hello, folks

i have a question related to the BLE beacon. I know that operating system platform, beacon platforms’ survival depends on apps. Since Cisco’s APIs are proprietary, they can’t rely on the existing apps ported to generic iBeacon and Eddystone APIs, they will need to recruit developers. Having big Cisco sized deployments will naturally pull developers in their direction, but that’s probably not going to be enough. The solution is if Cisco  integrates Beacon Point and Hyperlocate into a single hardware platform. Being able to unify Wi-Fi and Bluetooth analytics would be a formidable offering.  

For customers committed to integrating with Google’s Eddystone UID and EID protocols, Beacon Point may not be the right choice currently. Those frame types are not supported yet, although that would be an obvious next step on Cisco’s roadmap.

Since Beacon Point is dependent upon use of its SDK by the apps that need to see vBeacons, it’s hard to see how Eddystone URL can be supported by Beacon Point unless Google adopts Cisco’s SDK. THIS IS EXCERT FROM A PUBLICATION OF 2016 year. As I know, that cisco realised this idea given above in 2018 as AP4800 which includes Wi-fi, hyperlocation solution, integrated BLE radios. 

MY QUESTION: Can we rely on the existing apps ported to generic iBeacon and Eddystone APIs without recruiting an app developers??? If yes do we need to develop some special app for user devices? Or can users just install general app from AppStore or playmarket to their mobile devices and connect/take a beam from beacon ( I mean from beacon in the AP4800) ???

Any advice/answer could take me closer to the right solution! Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
VIP Rising star

Re: Cisco CMX BLE Beacon

this might get a better response if you post it in the Developer Mobility Community Forum

https://community.cisco.com/t5/developer-mobility/ct-p/j-developer-mobility

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
VIP Rising star

this might get a better response if you post it in the Developer Mobility Community Forum

https://community.cisco.com/t5/developer-mobility/ct-p/j-developer-mobility

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you!

CreatePlease to create content
This widget could not be displayed.