Announcements
Views
Helpful
Replies
andy.julius1
Beginner

CMX 10.2 Get Tag History

Hi,

I am trying to retrieve location history for tags in CMX 10.2 using API https://<domain>/api/location/v1/history/tags/<tag_mac_addr>

However, it always return []

Currently, our CMX will push notification on TAGS location update to our services.

The services will try to retrieve each location updated TAG to call the API https://<domain>/api/location/v1/tags/<tag_mac_addr> to retrieve the tag location along with vendor specific data (because location update notification has limited information).

However, as the API polling to retrieve the location for each tag is only the latest (imagine there is 1000 other tags on Queue)0, we would also wanted to retrieve the location history if missed.

Is there anyway I can achieve this (or is tag history obsolete in 10.2)?

Thanks,

Andy

5 REPLIES 5
matfarre
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Cisco CMX 10.2 only supports history for wireless clients.  The push notification could be used to collect the location history for each tag location update event.  Please, let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anyway we can retrieve [Vendor Data] information upon push notification "location update" (or any other notification) for Tag? Maybe thru some configuration?

Basically, we want to achieve getting latest information (within Vendor Data) and XY coordinate for the tag.

We find that if the Tag device sent prob by Emergency PANIC BUTTON to AP > Controller, there will be two beacon sequence number (1st is location, 2nd is panic button) on location update push notification to our service. But we can only the latest location history by polling to retrieve the Vendor Data. Any other way to achieve this?

Thanks again,

Andy Julius

matfarre
Frequent Contributor

Hi Andy,

Let me check with the CMX engineering folks regarding the push notifications for tag devices.  My guess is these returned parameters are limited by the API.

Please check the discussion threads on "partnerStreamNotification" and drop me an email for further information.

Thanks,

Matt

matfarre@cisco.com

matfarre
Frequent Contributor

Andy,  Streaming notification for tags seems to be the best solution for receiving the data you need.  Let us know how it's working for you with any feedback.  Thanks, Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

As mentioned, what we required is the custom data that we fit in to vendor data group. Streaming notification does not push any of those data.

Hence, an API polling to get the tag location is needed. However, the polling to get tag location may not be the same sequence number as the streaming notification pushed (as there could be additional sequence beacon added). That's why we will need to get the tag location history based on the streamed notification sequence number.

In short we need:

1. option 1: to get tag custom vendor data group via streaming notification (location update or any other)

2. option 2: to get tag location history (not the active/current location) via polling API

Thanks again for your understanding and help. Greatly appreciate.

Andy

Create
Recognize Your Peers
Content for Community-Ad