cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

CMX 10 in presence mode notification types

Hi,

There is a question about notification types in presence mode (no location data).

On the Manage Notifications page I see following types of notifications:

- "Passerby Detected"

- "Passerby Become Visitor"

- "Visitor Went Away"

I need to get all the data about all visitors. Is it enough to handle "Passerby Detected" or I need to handle all three notifications?

For example, we have a following situation:

1) some device is detected, we get "Passerby Detected" notification

2) device is still present, we get "Passerby Detected"

3) device is still present and classified as visitor, we get "Passerby Detected" and "Passerby Become Visitor"

4) device is still present, we get "Passerby Detected"

5) device is not present for some time, we get "Visitor Went Away"

Are the above assumptions about events sent by CMX API correct?

Will we still receive "Passerby Detected" even when the device is classified as "visitor"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

CMX presence testing - how it should work

Slide1.jpgSlide2.jpgSlide3.jpgSlide4.jpgSlide5.jpg

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Boris,  I sent the question to the cmx engineering internal mailer list, and will update soon.  Matt

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Boris,

Received one reply fro the cmx mailer list.

The goal with presence notifications is that you should go through the state of;

• Detected -> PasserBy -> Visitor.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Highlighted

Hi Matt,

Thanks for update, but the answer does not really clarify anything.

There are three notifications related to the detected / passer by / visitor state:

- "Passerby Detected"

- "Passerby Become Visitor"

- "Visitor Went Away"

Actually we only see two states here - passerby detected and passerby become visitor.

As I understand, when device appears, CMX starts sending "Passerby Detected" notifications.

When device is categorized as "visitor", the CMX starts sending "Passerby Become Visitor" notifications.

The question is this - when device is "visitor" - will we still receive both "Passerby Detected" AND "Passerby Become Visitor" notifications?

Or we will only receive "Passerby Become Visitor" notifications in this case?

Or we will receive one "Passerby Become Visitor" notification and then continue with "Passerby Detected"?

Or something else?

I intentionally put many questions here, as I hope this makes clear that multiple options are possible and I want to know what exactly happens.

Highlighted

Boris,  I understand.  Let me see what I can find out, maybe a state diagram, or complete logic snippet.  Matt

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Boris,

I got a reply from the experts.  Apparently, they are working on fixes for presence mode notifications.  The fixes are scheduled for a BETA version on 10.2.2.  I will share what I find out about the design and updates.

Matt

Highlighted

Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for the update.

Are you aware what are the fixes they are working on? Does it mean that current notification system does something wrong?

And in the any case, it would be good to have the description for different notification types (both for location and presence mode), so I can better understand if I am receiving all the data we need for our system.

Thanks again for your time and care!

Highlighted

Boris,

I see a fix for CMX 10.2.2 - Missing presence notifications when clients move site, with the following symptoms:

When a WiFi client moves between CMX Presence sites notifications are not always generated.

Bug: CSCux72106 Send Notification when passer-by changes to Visitor

Look for the fix in a release of 10.2.2 and details in the new release notes.  I haven't seen the design or usecase, but will share them with you when I do.

Matt

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

CMX presence testing - how it should work

Slide1.jpgSlide2.jpgSlide3.jpgSlide4.jpgSlide5.jpg

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi Matt,

This is very helpful, thank you again.

One more question, are the notifications sent only once or repeated?

Like when I get the "Passerby Detected", will CMX send the "Passerby Detected" again or there will be no new notifications until the state changes to "Passerby Became Visitor"?

Or maybe I am missing something and there is some presence notification which is just triggered periodically when the device is detected (something like LocationUpdate in location notifications), just a raw data without the classification?

I am asking because we already do the classification in our application, so it would be easier to just get periodical updates with raw data.

Content for Community-Ad

This widget could not be displayed.