Announcements

Community Helping Community

Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

CMX Connect and Engage Push Notification to Android Device

Hello,

I have configured Mobile Application Server and synchronized it with Connect and Engage. I also have related application software on my android device. I can see my location on the map and track myself without any problem.

Now, I'm trying to send a push notification whenever the device enters to a certain zone. I configured the zone on the Connect and Engage Zone Editor and wrote down the text I would like to push. Then, I typed the API key, which I got from GCM project, to the "Push Notification Setup" tab on the Connect and Engage. Also, I edited sender ID part of the code with Project ID of GCM project.

I tested it from Mobile Application Server with related commands, and everything seems to be fine:

~$/opt/cmx-mobile-app-server/bin/sendPushNotificationByMac.sh "Mac Adress of device" message

[ INFO] 2015-02-26 11:02:04,947 - ------- Wireless Client Push Notification -------

[ INFO] 2015-02-26 11:02:05,039 - Starting to send push notification to client: "Mac Adress of device" with message: message

[ INFO] 2015-02-26 11:02:05,042 - Completed sending push notification to client: "Mac Adress of device" with message: message

~$/opt/cmx-mobile-app-server/bin/testPushNotificationByMac.sh "Mac Adress of device"

[ INFO] 2015-02-26 11:03:20,706 - ------- Wireless Client Push Notification -------

[ INFO] 2015-02-26 11:03:34,503 - ------- Wireless Client Push Notification -------

[ INFO] 2015-02-26 11:03:34,539 - Starting to send push notification to client: "Mac Adress of device" with message: Thu Feb 26 11:03:34 EET 2015: Test Message

[ INFO] 2015-02-26 11:03:34,544 - Completed sending push notification to client: "Mac Adress of device" with message: Thu Feb 26 11:03:34 EET 2015: Test Message

Nothing happens on the device side, no notification is coming. I don't know what I'm missing, any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dogansel

3 REPLIES 3
Beginner

Re: CMX Connect and Engage Push Notification to Android Device

I'm having the same issue. Same responses in mobile app server as above. *Something* is happening for me device-side though, as the device is logging this each time:

02-27 14:40:08.313: W/GTalkService(1610): [DataMsgMgr] broadcast intent callback: result=CANCELLED forIntent { act=com.google.android.c2dm.intent.RECEIVE cat=[com.cisco.cmx.app] (has extras) }

02-27 14:40:08.314: W/GTalkService(1610): Receiver package not found, unregister application com.cisco.cmx.app sender 766722708860

I can also add that CMXGcmBroadcastReceiver.onReceive() is *not* being called.

Googling seems to point at some issue with the manifest but I havent been able to find any yet...would love some help here too!

Enthusiast

Hello,

Have you uploaded the correct Google Server API key for GCM? ( I am assuming yes ). If the issue persists, perhaps you can try contacting Cisco's TAC? They have the setup to help with issues like this.

Dave

Beginner

On further investigation the problem (in our case at least) seems to be that the messageType and extras are null in the google cloud message.

sendNotification() is not called because messageType is null - if I debug, and manually change the value of messageType in onHandleIntent to evaluate to GoogleCloudMessaging.MESSAGE_TYPE_MESSAGE, this allows the intent to CMXGcmActivity to go through. However, CMXGcmActivity then fails to populate the notification String because its extras are empty

Not trying to hijack your thread, , but thought this may help. This is with fresh GCM server key uploaded to server and matching ID in the app.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
FusionCharts will render here
This widget could not be displayed.