Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted

How to speed up development on REST API callback?

Hi,

I'm using a Ruby Sinatra service as notification target. Whenever I'm changing something, the PRIME rather quickly discovers that I'm gone (TCP PING failed), but it does never recover FAST from that, once I'm back. This is not acceptable, while one is developing.

What can I do in order to force the MSE to recover quicker from when there was no receiver for a certain time?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Have you tried supplying entityFilter list (a list of the MAC addresses you are interested in)?:

The notification Triggers support entity filters, which is a list of Mac addresses for which the subscription applies.

Wildcarding is done by appending a "*" ot "%" symbol to the partial mac.

As for Synchronize Services, that's probably not going to help except with notifications/event groups you create in Prime, which you aren't doing.  It's found in the 'Mobility Services' menu group found under Monitor or Services, depending on which 'theme' is in effect.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Beginner

If I understand, you are creating notifications in Prime and when creating Event Definition, you set Sinatra as the destination.

Have you tried going to Synchronize Services, Event Groups, selecting the appropriate Event Group,and clicking 'Change MSE Assignment' to manually trigger synchronization when your listener is available again?

Depending on what your requirements are, you could also use REST API to set up notifications (or check to see if MSE still registers them), as part of Sinatra startup.

Tom

Highlighted

Hi Tom

sorry for being not specific enough.

No, I'm using the PRIME just for monitoring. I'm creating my notifications via REST using Curl. That works. After that notifications come in. Tons, because the sites are very active. To give you an impression: If I delete the notification I'm still receiving notifications for about 15 minutes... BTW: How can I stop locations from being reported in order to NOT being flooded? It seems to be not possible to filter for a given device in the notification setup payload (or at least it is not documented). I would love to get rid of 1 billion notifications in order to pick the one I'm interested in.

The problem is: My receiver (currently realized in C# using Nancy, which is a the equivalent to Ruby/Sinatra) is still under development. So I need to constantly stop/change/restart. The MSE seems to have an algorithm, that if it doesn't come through with a request it states "PING Failed" and retries one minute later. If the outage is longer, it could last up to 10 minutes and more until the MSE resumes. That is not practicable. You spend most of the time waiting for the MSE, either to shut up or to resume.

Have you tried going to Synchronize Services, Event Groups, selecting the appropriate Event Group,and clicking 'Change MSE Assignment' to manually trigger synchronization when your listener is available again?

No, because: where is that setting? The only thing I see of my notifications is the statistics in the PRIME.

Highlighted

Have you tried supplying entityFilter list (a list of the MAC addresses you are interested in)?:

The notification Triggers support entity filters, which is a list of Mac addresses for which the subscription applies.

As for Synchronize Services, that's probably not going to help except with notifications/event groups you create in Prime, which you aren't doing.  It's found in the 'Mobility Services' menu group found under Monitor or Services, depending on which 'theme' is in effect.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Yes, but the filter setting seems to not work, if the entityType is WIRELESS_CLIENT. Even with the filter set I got all the notifications.

I changed the entityType to MAC_ADDRESS and after that I got no notification at all, even if my device was ON.

Could you please point me to the place, where this information can be found?

What drives me nuts is the absence detection algorithm which is applied by the MSE. Every little change in code of the notification receiver ends up in > 10 minutes to wait...

Thanks for you efforts.

Highlighted

BTW:

given this situation: I'm asking the MSE for scheduled notifications. I'm getting 404, no notifications. This matches the statistics view in the PRIME. I'm scheduling a PresenceNotification. After a time I'm getting Presence _AND_ Movement.

That shouldn't be the case, right?

Regards

Highlighted

I copied the entityFilter info from the online REST doc (I can't find it in the PDF). You can point your browser to https:/[your MSE IP here]/docs/ to have your MSE serve them up. Then under Location APIs choose Schemas and click Notifications.In theory, that is the most accurate documentation for the version of MSE you are using, as it is generated along with the build and should track any changes or additions.On the other hand the PDF has a few sample notification requests.

The Mobility API portal has a copy of it, if you don't have access to MSE.

https://developer.cisco.com/site/networking/mobility/mobility-services/documentation/mse-api/index.gsp

(if you are on the Mobility API page, this link to 'MSE API' is revealed when you hover over Documentation in the menu bar at the top of the page. A bit subtle, that..)

I will do a test to see whether I can get entityFilter to work, and also check into the P + M issue (which does seem wrong).

Tom

Highlighted

Arghh. I know hat doc. Found it here...

https://developer.cisco.com/media/MSE75docs/docs/index.html

earlier. There is that statement too... Haven't sen that, thanks..

Content for Community-Ad
Cisco Community August2020 Spotlight Award Winners
This widget could not be displayed.