cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

0/0 into an ipv4 vrf

jlixfeld
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a default route into my test vrf.  Since I'm doing BGP between all my PEs, it seems sensible that I try to originate the default route in BGP instead of redistributing it from another protocol.  I'm having problems doing this.

- I've tried to default-information originate within the ipv4 address family, then redistribute that default from the global table into the VRF, but Cisco doesn't like bgp to bgp redistribution.
- The BGP sessions that are established between the PEs are established via the global table, not from within the ipv4 vrf address family, so I can't configure default-originate from in there either.
- I'd rather not establish sessions with other PEs from within the ipv4 vrf address family.  Other than being able to see the default route in that address family, there's really no other information that has to be in that routing table, so unless there's no other way to do what I want, I don't see a need to complicate that routing table at all.

Any ideas?  I'm sure it's possible, I'm just still a bit ignorant.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Atif Awan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming you want to originate a default from one of the PEs that has your test vrf configured, you can either use default-information originate (requires redistribution) or network 0.0.0.0 command under the respective vrf's MP-BGP configuration. For example lets assume your vrf is TEST and you have a static default route already configured in this VRF on one of the PE devices. From this PE device you can originate a default via MP-BGP to rest of the PEs having visibility of your VRF using the following:

router bgp XXX

address-family ipv4 vrf TEST

network 0.0.0.0

exit-address-family

Atif

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Atif Awan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming you want to originate a default from one of the PEs that has your test vrf configured, you can either use default-information originate (requires redistribution) or network 0.0.0.0 command under the respective vrf's MP-BGP configuration. For example lets assume your vrf is TEST and you have a static default route already configured in this VRF on one of the PE devices. From this PE device you can originate a default via MP-BGP to rest of the PEs having visibility of your VRF using the following:

router bgp XXX

address-family ipv4 vrf TEST

network 0.0.0.0

exit-address-family

Atif