cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500's or ASR's for MPLS

martynbeck
Level 1
Level 1

In our enterprise a project is driving more bandwidth usage and is making us consider deploy

of MPLS on proposed core gig e WAN links that would link South England and Scottish datacentres

We are considering upgrading existing North and South sited core 6500's to terminate these

new MPLS links. Or alternatively purchase new north and south ASR platforms as termination.

Are there any 6500-platform-specific MPLS dependencies/restrictions

to consider that would not be encountered if we used ASR's ??

thnks

martyn

4 Replies 4

can you please be more specific about the models you are proposing?

existing 65's are 6509's with sup720-3B's but 'could' be upgraded if neeed. ASR model that could be used is to be decided.

Horsepower on the device to be used can be brought with money, which can be be got if necessary. What i'm after is a high level expert finger in the air compare on the MPLS implementations on 6500's and ASR's , to the aim of IF i deploy on multi purposes 65's might i have obscure issues pop up down the road, as opposed to a 'proper' ASR edge router MPLS

implementation.

thnks

rgds

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is your WAN link?  Is it a dark fabre?

If it ain't dark fibre what is your WAN link bandwidth? 

proposed gig e on the WAN as said, and not dark fibre.

rgds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: