cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Baby Giants counter incrementing on interface?

david.monaghan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 7600 PE router running SRD2a with a WS-X6708-10GE card being used for the wan links (DWDM). The baby giants counters on the interfaces are incrementing very fast. Looking at Cisco.com I dont think it's an issue as it's just MPLS packets,etc that are above the usual ethernet 1518 bytes size.  Hopefully this is not something to worry about?! If so what I dont understand is why the baby giant counters are not incrementing on other wan links on the network. On most wan links we have 10G ES cards and I'm wondering if this is the reason?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

6 Replies 6

david.monaghan
Level 1
Level 1

I meant to add, all interfaces are configured with mtu 9170.

Hi David,

if your 6708 is configured as a trunk port likely you see the giants due to  CSCef87392 (for 6704) and CSCtb68386 (for 6708).

They are both accounting related defects, hence just cosmetic.

Riccardo

Thanks for the reply but the port is not set as a trunk. I can't seem to access details for that bug ref?

Hello,

No worries about the giant counters, packets are not dropped. They'll count every packet larger than 1500 bytes, even if the interface mtu is larger than that.

Regards,

Herve

Thanks, confirms my thoughts, but why do we not see baby giants incrementing on the ES card wan links? it only seems to happen on these couple of links that are using 6708 cards. Is it something to do with the architecture of lan cards?

Fyi - I mentioned this to our company Cisco support contact.

The giant counter incrementing does not indicate the packet was dropped, only that the frame size exceeded 1548bytes. The giants counter is going to increment for any frame greater than 1548 bytes on 6708 cards. It is an expected behaviour. This is fixed in the next generation of port ASICs and that's why you don't see this behaviour on ES cards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: